#25: memories hurt

"It's been a week since Rudra was admitted to the hospital, and now today he is going back home. In the morning, Aarohi entered the hospital and saw Rudra's father at the reception, completing the formalities for Rudra's discharge. She was running late, so she headed straight to her classes. However, in the afternoon, after her classes, she approached the nurse and asked, 'Has Rudra... Mr. Sinha, left?' But the nurse replied, 'No, he will be discharged in the evening, and you need to check on him before he leaves.' Aarohi replied, 'Okay, so he's finally leaving. They're all going.' Just then, Jiya arrived and asked, 'Who's leaving?' Aarohi replied, 'Rudra is being discharged today.' Jiya expressed, 'Oh, that's sad.' Aarohi questioned, 'What's sad about it? I'm happy he's leaving.' Jiya explained, 'But most people don't feel that way.' Aarohi glanced at the nurse, who also admitted that she would miss Rudra as a patient. Aarohi shrugged it off, saying, you guys .....'

In the evening, when Aarohi went to Rudra's room for the final check-up, she instructed the nurse to bring all the reports from the tests. As the nurse went to retrieve the reports, Aarohi entered Rudra's room and found Myra sitting there, engaged in conversation.

Myra's expression changed as Aarohi entered, indicating her displeasure. Aarohi politely asked Myra to leave for a few minutes for the check-up, but Myra refused. Aarohi insisted, reminding her of the hospital's rules. Rudra intervened and asked Myra to leave. Once Myra left, Aarohi checked Rudra's blood pressure and heart rate. She noticed that she couldn't hear Rudra's heartbeat properly, so she moved closer and placed the stethoscope on his chest.

She commented, 'Your heart is beating so fast.' Rudra replied, 'It always .....' He seemed about to say something else but stopped abruptly, and Aarohi backed off, both remembering how Rudra's heart raced whenever she was near him."

"After a pause, Aarohi asked Rudra if he had taken all his medicine. Rudra simply nodded, and then the nurse arrived, handing the reports to Aarohi. After reviewing the reports, Aarohi remarked, 'Everything looks fine, but you'll need to come in for weekly check-ups.' Rudra replied,  I can't come here. I have matches.' Aarohi insisted, 'Mr. Sinha, you can't play any matches. You need to rest for at least a month, and refrain from any athletic activities.' Rudra countered, 'Are you saying I can't play cricket? I have a match.' Aarohi responded firmly, 'I'm not going to sign the consent form for you. As a doctor, I have to prioritize your health.'

Rudra retorted, 'Then I would like to change my doctor.' Aarohi agreed, 'Okay, please speak with the authority. I'll gladly transfer your care.' Rudra expressed his desire to play, but Aarohi remained firm, 'No, you can't. Come here for weekly check-ups, at least for a month. I'm prescribing medication. Don't forget to take it.' Rudra questioned, 'Why weekly check-ups? Do you want to see me weekly?' Aarohi joked, 'In your dreams.' The nurse intervened, 'Mr. Sinha, your leg hasn't fully healed. You need to be more careful.' Rudra acknowledged, 'Okay.'

As they conversed, Rudra's parents arrived. His mother inquired, 'Are you ready to go, Rudra?' Rudra replied, 'Yes, absolutely. I just want to leave this place as soon as possible.' Rudra's father announced, 'All formalities are done. We can leave now.' They gathered Rudra's belongings, and Divya also arrived, casting a glance towards Aarohi. Rudra's father left, while his mother and Divya supported Rudra as they walked out. The nurse wondered aloud, 'Why is he leaving?' Aarohi quipped, 'Thank God he's leaving.'"

__________

About a week later, Rudra came for his weekly check-up. When he inquired about Dr. Aarohi at the reception, she was told to wait in room number 7 as she would arrive shortly. Rudra went to the room and waited. Myra was also there but stepped out to take a call. After some time, the nurse informed Aarohi that Mr. Sinha had arrived.