CHAPTER 1: THE REAPING

I am jolted awake by my younger sister's scream. My eyes fly open and I rush as fast as I can to her and sit her in my lap. Of course she had a bad dream. It's Reaping Day.

We had a quiet breakfast of bread made from our grain rations. It is only the second reaping ever but last year was terrible. I rest my hand in my palms as I remember being forced to watch 23 children around my age kill eachother for the Capitol's entertainment. Both of District 12's 'tributes' were killed in the initial fighting - nicknamed the bloodbath - at the Golden Cornaconpia. The girl from District 1 won that year.

My mother helps me dress up in my nicest clothes after breakfast. My sister is only 10 years old so she has 2 more years reaping-free. I'm 15 so i have a few years left of having my name in the reaping bowl.

We enter the Town Square and I am guided to the section of roped-off 15 year old girls. I stand with my best friend from school.

At 2:00 sharp the mayor of District 12 starts his boring speech about the history of Panem. After this, a bright, bubbly lady from the Capitol struts to the front of the stage.

"Ladies first!" she exclaims and puts her hand in the bowl.

"It's Anya Hart!"

I freeze. That's me. The crowd shouts protest. I'm well known around the district because of an accident that happened when I was little.

I'm missing a leg.

It was pretty stupid, really, when I look back on it.

When I was little, my Dad and his two best friends used to go hunting in the woods just outside the fence. When I turned 8 my father started to bring me with him.

One day, I was setting a snare in the bushes. One of dad's friends' son was practicing hunting with a bow and arrow. He was aiming for a tree about 10 meters to my left but just as he let the arrow fly, a noise behind him frightened him. The arrow flew towards me instead! I tried to leap out of the way but i wasn't quick enough. The shaft buried deep into my left leg. Because I was only little, I didn’t know that it was best to keep the arrow in my leg to stop the bleeding a bit… I pulled it out and blood spurted everywhere. I must have lost a lot of blood because I fainted not long afterwards.

When I woke up, we were in the hut by the lake where we used to stay the night if we spent the weekend in the woods. I had a makeshift torquient made with a stick and some spare bandages we were carrying. Apparantly they took me to the hut instead of back to the district because it was closer and my Dad didn’t want to freak my Mum out with all the blood. The only problem with this was that the hut was dirty and there was a really big risk of the wound getting infected.

Well, obviously it did because we spent the rest of the weekend out in the woods. I tried to help them hunt when I could which definitely made it worse. When we got back, my Mum saw the wound and freaked out. She took me to the doctor who said that he could either amputate my leg from above the knee or see if it got better. My Mum, not knowing if it would heal or not, decided that the safer option would be to amputate it, which sort of sucks for me today.

I've always forgiven the boy. It wasn't his fault. I can see him in the crowd now. Crying because he believes it is his fault that I don't stand a chance in these games. That is surprising. I didn’t think he would care.

I am helped up the stairs by a group of Peacekeepers and the lady asks for volunteers.

"Good" I think. I don't want anyone to suffer out of pity for me. I stand defiantly on the stage, leaning on the wooden crutches my father made for me as the male tribute is read out.

Matthew Hazellberry. Never heard of him. At least if I have to kill him it won't be as bad as it would be if I had known him.

Once the reaping is over, the Peacekeepers march us into the Justice Building. I wait in a room for my family and friends to come say goodbye. Maybe forever. I need to stay strong, if the sponsers see me crying they will think I am weaker than I already am.

When my parents walk in, carrying my little sister, I burst into tears. So much for being strong.

I hold my sister on my lap and hug my mum and dad over and over. I will miss them so much. After what seems like not enough time the Peacekeepers take them away.

"I'll try to win for you!" I shout just as the doors close behind them.

Next, my friend from school walks in. She gives me a quick hug then just sits with me and holds my hand. As she gets up to leave, she whispers, "I'll miss you. Good luck."

Well, I'm glad she will miss me but I would love some support right now! It's as if everyone has accepted that I am going to die!

I am not expecting any more visitors so I am surprised when the boy from the woods walks in.

"I'm so sorry!" he cries. Then says in a serious voice:

"Listen, you can win this. You can sort of climb, set snares, tie really good knots and you are amazing at throwing knives. Don't let your disability stop you. I also brought you this."

He hands me a woven grass bracelet. I take it.

"Please wear it into the arena." he says and walks out.