CHAPTER 2: THE CAPITOL

The train ride to the Capitol seems to take forever. I can't get the boy out of my head, which is stupid because I don't even know his name! I keep the grass bracelet on my arm the whole way. I know I will treasure it for the rest of my life - however long that may be.

Finally, we arrive at the Capitol. The sudden brightness after the tunnel blinds me at first but then I run to the window! I have to see this! It is so bright and colourful and everyone dresses so weirdly! The people suddenly start turning to stare at the train then they realise it is a tribute train and turn to each other and whisper excitedly. That's just horrific. I can't watch that anymore.

We soon arrive at the remake center and our escort, Sophia, takes us up to our room. Here, my prep team of three young-looking girls chat away as they put my hair up in a bun, paint my nails black and rip all the hair from my body. It is quite painful so it better be worth it. When I think it is finally over, my stylist walks in.

"Hi Anya." she says, sounding normal despite her purple hair. "My name is Lavendar and I am your stylist."

"umm… Hi" I reply, unsure of what to say.

"don't be nervous." she says. "would you like to see your outfit?"

Without waiting for a response, she pulls out a beautiful black dress that comes to just above my knee and is covered in sparkly black dust. Then she pulls out an orange and gold jeweled crown.

"It's beautiful..." I whisper.

After Lavendar helps me into my dress, we walk down to the stables together. Matthew looks equally as stunning in a black suit with a red tie.

We get into our carriage and I sit down - thank goodness they put in a chair for me! I wouldn't be able to stand the whole way. The arena's going to be terrible! I hope they let me bring my crutches. All the other tributes are standing by their carriages talking to their escorts or stylists. The district 1 girl is talking to last year's victor. It is really unfair that they get help from an experienced victor and we get nothing.

Finally,  the anthem begins to play and the first carriage rolls out of the stables. I am amazed by the crowd as District 12's carriage finally rolls out into the open. People see me and are amazed by my beauty. Then they see my leg and fall almost silent before cheering even louder! They know it will be a good show. They are interested to see how long I last.

Once I get used to the crowd, I begin to wave. The audience loves it so I begin to wave more confidently and I smile. A purple flower is thrown to me, I catch it and sniff it carefully.

After President Snow welcomes us, the carriages do one more loop of the square before entering the training centre. The tributes from District 2 stare at me and laugh. They obviously think I don't stand a chance... Whatever! As if I care what they think!

"Training starts tomorrow!" Sophia exclaims. "So off to your rooms!"

I go without hesitation.