NMMTAD 2

We were nearly half way through with the van when help arrived. I was carrying one extra heavy box when suddenly a pair of arms reached around me and grabbed the box like it weighed nothing lifting it above my head into his own arms. I turned and smiled at the guy who’d taken the box. There was another guy with him and a girl all about my age.

            The two guys were Frank and Daniel, friends of Mrs. Deere and Quill's sons. The girl was Mrs. Quill’s daughter, Rachel. Rachel had a lot of energy in her skipping along carrying boxes. “I think you’ll fit in just fine. We have an ASL class at our school so not everyone has to take Spanish so a lot of kids know some signs. I took Spanish sadly so I have no clue what you’re saying, but I’ll learn. I think we are going to be good friends. I just have a feeling about it. I bet you’ll be friends with Troy to, that’s my brother. He’s got a big head sometimes but he’s got a big heart to. You’ll like him.”

           I blinked suprised by her fast talking speeding through topics and nodded in response, smiling at her.

            “Yeah, Troy’s great until you get on his bad side. Then you better watch out.” Frank warned setting down the two boxes he’d been carrying. He seemed the more talkative of the two, with a friendly smile and attitude while Daniel was more solemn and calm, brooding. “I must ask how you got the name Bluebell, and Basil for that matter.” I could see more questions in his eyes as he stared at us, but he didn't seem like he was going to ask them.

            Basil turned slightly red and looked at me. I rolled my eyes and signed, 'What do you want? I can’t speak silly.'

            “Right I forgot.” He said to me smiling sheepishly then looked to our three helpers. “Mom was very… imaginative. She liked to name her kids after things she liked. Bluebell was born in Texas where mom loved the flowers. When I was born mom was real into cooking and her teacher used a lot of Basil. Ash and Cypress are her favorite trees and Daffodil was… well we don’t know about that. She wasn't exactly right in the head and drank a lot.”

            'She was crazy.' I signed to Basil and punched him before he said it out loud. 'You and me talking now, not them. You didn't have to tell them about the drinking you pea brain. Next thing they'll be asking is if that caused my muteness.'

           'But its not,' David signed hesitantly.

          'They don't know that. Just don't tell them any more okay?'

            “Yeah, sure,” He muttered looking at the three and then back at me. 'Why not?'

            'I don’t want anyone to think we’re like mom. Some people are pea brains. They never think. I don’t want anyone thinking we’re crazy or alcoholics like mom.' Basil understood and agreed with me. A lot of the time people found out about mom and suddenly expected us to suddenly go crazy as well or be drinkers. Once they met Dad, the theory was confirmed without any play on our part.

          In truth, while Ash and Cypress's futures were unsure, Basil and I were good kids. It came with the growing up maturity. We were well behaved, did well in school. It's not like I could be any less anyways. I had a big future ahead of me, one that required maturity and a smart mind. One that I wasn't ready for in my opinion.

            “Yall ready to go to dinner?” Dad called up the stairs. “Frank, Daniel, Rachel did yall walk here?”

            “Yes sir,” They said in harmony. Rachel talked next alone. “We’ll walk back now I guess. See you guys in a few minutes.” They were all out of there before we could say goodbye back.