6. The Name

I gently tapped on the door with 'DUSTIN' written on it in big colorful letters.

At first I thought he wasn't in there, but after a while, I heard some shuffling and the door opened a tiny crack.

I looked down to see Dustin standing there staring up at me.

"Hi Dustin! I'm-" I started in a sweet voice.

"The crazy girl that punched my brother, I know." He cut me off.

I stared wide eyed at him. Well this could have started better.

"It's not my fault! He was being rude!" I defended, crossing my arms.

"Really? What did he do?" He asked, opening the door a bit more wider.

"He..." I trailed off. I couldn't exactly say 'he kidnapped me and ruined my life'.

"He called me stupid?" I said, sounding more like I was asking a question.

"He called you the S word?" Dustin stared up at me with wide eyes.

I couldn't help but fall in love with this kid even more now. Most eight year old kids would be saying things like 'Shit' now a days, and this kid was the brother of a kidnapper, yet he was pretty damn polite.

I wonder what had happened to his older brother. I guess it was true what they said, the first ones always a rough draft.

"Yeah, he said that." I said, trying to look serious.

"Then he deserved a punch!" The kid cheered, now opening the door fully, stepping aside.

I walked into his room and looked around. There were photos of him and the kidnapper mostly, which were adorable. I stopped at one picture in which the kidnapper was holding Dustin with his arm around his stomach and they were both laughing. He looked so carefree in that picture, I almost didn't recognize him.

"So why are you in my house?" Dustin asked now.

I turned to see him sitting cross legged on his dinosaur blanketed bed, staring up at me as if waiting for me to tell him a Disney story.

"Um, I'm working on a school project with your brother." I quickly lied, realizing afterwards how stupid that was. I'm pretty sure kidnappers didn't go to school.

"You go to his school too?" He asked.

Well apparently mine does...

"Yeah..." I trailed off, hating myself for lying to this cute innocent kid.

"Hey, do you wanna have some grilled cheese and watch movies with us?" I suddenly asked with a huge grin.

"Yes!" He jumped up, and ran to the door. "Wait." He stopped and turned.

"Yes?" I asked, right behind him.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Skylar, but you can call me Sky." I smiled.

"So like Luke Skywalker?" He asked with a large smile.

I chuckled. "Sure." I smiled.

"Ok, let's go L.S!" He yelled, opening the door and running out.

I stared after him in confusion, before realizing he was saying Luke Skywalker's initials... Great, now I'm some dude who had a weird father with breathing problems.

But I didn't mind, seeing that kid smile like that was worth it.

Ten minutes later, we were all seated in front of the television, wrapped up in blankets with grilled cheese and apple-juice boxes, watching the opening scene of The Outsiders.