15

It was Monday and Everly had avoided talking to Stephanie all weekend, she just needed time to think. She spent the whole weekend hanging out with the guys, including Ashton. It was a nice break away from Stephanie, being with people who she genuinely had a great time with. Normally she would make sure Stephanie didn't catch word that she was hanging out with the boys, but she didn't care if she found out, if anything she wanted her to find out. To show her that it wasn't always about Stephanie, and that she did have other friends besides her.

Lately she just felt found Stephanie to be extra annoying, normally she wouldn't just brushed off that comment, about her not being guys interest, it wouldn't have gotten to her. But with the new found interest she got from Ashton, it was giving her the confidence to stand up for herself. He made her feel special, and Stephanie would just have to stop being selfish, it that were possible.

She found herself laying in bed Sunday night thinking it all over, her dad had mentioned earlier that night at dinner, that they were just growing up. And that got her thinking, yes they were growing up, and maybe with growing up it came with growing apart. It was a scary thought to process, Stephanie was her best friend, they have been through so much together, was she ready to give that up? That was the last thought in Everly's head, before she fell asleep.

~~~~~

Everly was walking to third period when she heard someone calling her name.

"Ev! Wait up!" Everly kept walking, when she made out the voice of the person calling her.

"Everly please wait up!" People are staring!" Everly kept ignoring her. Stephanie jogged up next to Everly.

This is not the time or the place, Everly thought.

"Everly, you know that's not how I meant it. I really didn't mean it that way. I'm so sorry." Stephanie said trying to keep up with Everly's fast pace walk.

"Please just talk to me!" Stephanie said, quickly walking in front of Everly to cut her off and block her from going anywhere.

"Just say anything! Please." She begged, grabbing Everly's shoulders giving her a little shake.

"You make me feel like shit."

"What?" Stephanie asked, taken back by Everly's straight forward answer.

"You. Make. Me. Feel. Like. Shit." Everly said slowly, this time enunciating the words, to get her point across.

"I-I don't mean to." Stephanie stuttered, looking around noticing that a few people were lingering, trying to listen to their conversation.

"Well you do." Everly said, not even caring about the people around them.

"Hey, what's going on over here?" Ashton asked, stepping in between the girls, with Luke by his side.

"Nothing." Everly said with no emotion.

"Everly." Stephanie desperately said.

"I'll see you later." Everly said.

"Okay." Stephanie sadly sighed, walking back in the opposite direction to her own class.

"Everything okay?" Ashton cautiously said.

"Yeah. I have to get to class."

"Okay." Ashton said, stepping off to the side letting Everly go.

"That seemed intense." Luke said, once Everly was out of ear.

"Have they ever argued like that before?" Ashton asked, as they walked to their class.

"No. Not that I've ever witnessed. I mean Everly was pretty upset with Stephanie about the whole Michael, Calum situation, but I don't think she ever truly expressed her feelings." Luke stated.