1

Today was the day. The last, first day of high school. The beginning of the end, Everly thought as she lie awake in bed, she couldn't bring herself to get up just yet.

"This is it Everly. Your last year of high school then you're finally out of here. Somewhere far, where you'll actually matter. Where you don't have to hide in the background. Where people, who aren't your family actually care about you. Where your life finally starts,"

Suddenly a ding went off, making I stop talking to myself. I reached for my phone on my nightstand next to my bed. I looked at the screen seeing a text from my best friend, Stephanie, "First day of senior year!!!!!!!!!"

"Good morning to you too," I replied back. Guess it's time to get up and get ready for school.

After I showered, I decided just to let my long brown hair air dry and put a subtle amount of make-up. I checked my phone and noticed another text from Steph: "U better wear something hot! This is ur last first day of High School Everly!" I didn't bother replying.

The thing about Stephanie is that she is the complete opposite of me. She's outgoing, she never has a problem making friends, she always looks good, and not just high school good. You know when you watch Pretty Little Liars and you just wish you could have Aria's or Hanna's wardrobe, well that's Stephanie for you. She never had a bad day, and I've known her since kindergarten.

Honestly, if we hadn't become friends so long ago, we wouldn't be friends now. But underneath all that make-up and fancy clothes, she's an amazing friend. She's been there for me through a lot, I think it was just destined for us to be friends.

I decided to wear a white lace top, jeans, and my old beaten up converse that I've had since Freshman year. I grabbed an oversized cardigan, cell phone, and my backpack, and headed downstairs for breakfast.

My mom was already in the kitchen getting ready to take my 5 year-old sister to school. "Morning Ev." she called to me.

"Morning." I called back, grabbing a bowl and my cereal. "Are you excited for your last year of high school?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I guess." I answered her, pouring the milk in my bowl.

"What do you mean you guess?" She turned around to me from the sink, "This is your last year. You're going to be doing so many senior things throughout the year."

"I don't know. I'm just not that excited about it." I explained to her.

"Well hopefully your mind changes." She looked at the clock and noticed it was getting late,"oh shoot! Emma! It's time to go!" She yelled out for my sister.

"I'm ready!" My little sister came running into the room with her cute frilly outfit. "Look Evie! I have a owl backpack!" She said turning around, showing me her backpack.

"That's cute Emmie. Hope you have a great first day of school." I hugged her.

"Thanks! Daddy said I'm going to make so many friends!" She said all excitedly.

"I bet you are." My mom came running back into the room with her purse and car keys, "Okay Emmie time for your first day of school."

"Bye Evie!" She waved to me on her way out.

"Bye sweetie. Have a great day of school. Enjoy it please, it's your last year, make the most of it." My mom kissed my forehead. "Maybe you'll meet a cute boy." She held my face in her hands.

"Sure mother." I rolled my eyes at her.

"Hey! You're a very pretty girl. Boys would kill to have you." She said all serious.

"Emmie is waiting for you." I pointed towards the garage.

"Don't sell yourself short." She said walking out. "Love you!" I heard her call out.

I rinsed off my dirty bowl and left it in the sink, when my Dad walks into the room. "Morning! Ready for school?"

"Yup! Let's go." I grabbed my bag and we headed outside to his car.