Chapter 4

*Drew's POV  

"Fuck," I yelled. This wasn't right. My friend from war was getting married. I hadn't talked I him since my sister got sick I thought they forgot me. I was happy for him but he wanted me to bring a date. So I had 3 months to find a woman who I actually cared for that wasn't my sister, who at this moment was running in my room with rollers in her hair. 

"What's!?!? What's wrong," she asked swinging her bat at me. 

"Nothing just a wedding invite." 

"Ohh cool," she said coming to see and then hit me on my head," don't you scream like that again unless something is wrong anger management." 

"Ok sorry, um are you going to use the car today?" 

"Yea why?" 

"Cause I need you to take my to Maria's house." 

"Ohh lala what are you'll doing." 

Wow only my sister could make me laugh this hard. "Nothing I'm helping her with her house." 

"Oh well have fun." 

She walked out of my room to get herself and Mika ready. I put on a pair of Wrangler jeans and a white t-shirt. I walked into the main hallway the same time Mika and Rose walked out. We all hoped into the car and took Mika to school.

The drive to Maria's house was quite. When we finally got there she was out in the yard planting flowers around her porch. It looked nice. When she heard our car she turned around and ran to us.  

"Hey," she smiled at us as we got out the car. My sister ran over to hug her, I just stayed behind.  

"How are you," my sister beamed at Maria. 

"Good I couldn't sleep last night so I started working on the yard, I needed some happiness," Maria said.

 Why was she in need of happiness? She was a single woman, I think. Who had a good job and a nice house. What wasn't there to be happy about? 

"We'll I'm glad you did this, this house needed to feel bright."  

We walked inside the house to find that she had done more. She had really been up all night. Her furniture was rearranged and her walls were different colors every room having a new theme. It was nice she had good taste in the way she wanted her home to be. 

"Well Drew I'm about to go work then I have to pick up my baby," my sister told me hugging me and Maria and then leaving. 

We stood there for a little while and then Marie started talking. 

"So my roof needs fixing do you think you can do that?" 

"Yea I just need supplies." 

"Oh I have that it's on the back porch." She led me to the back porch and what do you know it was all there. When did she find the time to do all this is was 11:30 in the morning and yet she had been running for hours. 

"Ok I guess I'll get started." 

It took me three hours to get done with the roof and by then I had many scratches was hungry and sweaty. I was on my way inside when I heard Maria crying. I walking to the living to find her hunched over a laptop crying to someone on video chat. 

"Are you taking care of yourself," he said. Of course she had a boyfriend. 

"Yes I am. I know you’re my older brother but you don't have to worry," she said back. So she has a brother. 

"Maria I'm always worried he'll find you. We almost lost you, do you realize that. I wouldn't be able to call you bunny anymore. Bunny be safe I can't protect you right now cause I've been deployed so stand strong." He was a marine I could tell by the way he talked. 

"I know I'm just glad I can talk to you it's been two months." 

"Yea I know maybe me and Gwen will come down when I come back. Mom can't keep me from my sister to long." 

She laughed. It was the first time I truly heard her laugh.  

"Maybe. Well I have to go, be strong protect your brothers." 

"I always will love you, bunny." 

"Love you too." She closes her laptop and leaned back on the couch sighing. I walked over to her and sat down beside her. 

"I'll tell you my story if you tell me yours,” I told her sitting there facing the wall in front of us.