Chapter 8

*Drew's POV 

I got up before Maria woke up and wrote her a note saying goodbye. It was time for me to go back to Saudi Arabia. I had gotten the call yesterday after she had fallen asleep. It crushed me cause I could watch her for a day to make sure she was back stable. I poured my heart into the note and left it on her mirror. I picked up my stuff in her house that I needed leaving behind one of my shirts that she always seemed to have on and my hat. I drove back to my sister's house and packed. I didn't have to search much cause everything was pretty much packed. When my sister realized I was in the house she staggered to my room like a drunk. 

"What are you doing here? Aren't you suppose to be holding Maria," she asked rubbing her eyes leaning on the doorframe. 

"No I have to go back. I want you and Mika to stay with her," I said placing the pack on my back. 

"Why is that?" 

"Cause last night the guy that's been after her attacked her and raped her while I was outside," my sister covered her mouth in disbelief," and I don't know when your cancer is coming back so you need watching to." 

"What? How could this happen where is that dirty bastard. How is she? Oh my god forget about my cancer that's horrible. Ok I'll stay with her and make sure she's stable."  

"He's dead I killed him," I said walking out of my room my sister shook her head in approval then walked up to me and kissed me goodbye.  

"Be careful. Don’t worry about us we will be fine," she said as I got in my car and handed her the keys to Maria's house. Once the house was out of view I called the police and told them the story and where to find the body. They didn't say much cause they had heard of the story and said that I had answered their questions. I just drove to the base and got ready for the longest 5 months.

*Maria's POV 

I woke up to find Drew gone. I got up when I heard someone running around and then I child making noises. What the fuck? I was about to walk out the room when I saw a note on my mirror. I took it off the see it was addressed to me. I sat back on my bed and read the letter. 

Dear Maria, 

I am truly sorry to have to leave you on short notice and after all that happened last night. My sister will be staying with you to look after you and for you to look after her. I wish I could stay and watch you sleep at night and listen to you laugh but I can't. I'm happy I met you. You have made my life worth living. You deserve so many things I want to give you in life. I love you I do. Maybe one day I can see if you love me and want to marry me but until then we can just write each other and let you get your trust back. Oh and make sure Mika doesn't eat a lot of candy. 

Love, Drew 

I started to cry. Why did he have to go but my tears soon faded when Mika ran into my room playing with a transformer. He sat down on my bed beside me and wiped my tear away. 

"Why are you crying Ria?," he asked me so full of innocence. 

"I'm just sad uncle Drew had to leave," I said ruffling his hair. 

"Yea uncle Drew leaves a lot but he always comes back." 

"Yea, is your mommy down stairs?" 

"Yes she's cooking pancakes," he said his face instantly brightening up.  

"Well let's go get some ill race you," I said smiling. This kid was radiating happiness and it was making me feel a lot better about life. We got up and ran to the door counted to three and raced downstairs. He won only cause he blocked me getting around one corner. This race was not over. Rose just shook her hand laughing. I think I might be ok after all.  

*Drew's POV  

I had been in the heat for 2 weeks. I felt like I was gonna pass out under all these clothes. Luke had been stationed with me so he made the days better but I lived for moments when I could video chat Maria and my sister of course. Today had to be the hottest day and it started off rough. We were attached during our moment of peace. 

"Drew fall back fall back," yelled Luke. He shot at the nearest attack and covered. We got out in time but they were still on our ass. Once the men got closer the team and I ran out of covering an attacked. It didn't last long the men were soon gone. They were small compared to us but the still left a dent in the team. Once everything was clear we went back to station and rested. I took off my gear and shirt. God it was hot. I went to the laptop and started to video chat Maria. 

"Hey," I said her face making my day better. She was wearing my shirt that I had left. 

'How's everything over there," she asked curling in a ball on her couch. Mika ran into her lap laughing then waving at me.

"Good hot, hey Mika you taking care of those women for me," I asked MIka making him and Maria smile.

"Yes uncle Drew. Maria said she was gonna show me how to shoot a gun but I don’t think she can do it," he said looking back at Maria then running away. We laughed.

"Don’t teach him how to use a gun. I didn’t know you knew how to use one," I said.

"Yea I know how to use one I just don’t my brother taught me."

"Well that’s good. Maybe you will be fine after all." 

We talked for an hour before I had to check in. Maria promised me she wouldn’t teach Mika but I knew she wouldn’t listen. It might relieve some stress but I still didn’t want Mika shooting stuff. Talking to her calmed me from the activities I would have to do for the next 4 months.