Chapter 5

*Maria's POV 

We sat there a couple of minutes he pulled out his phone and text someone then looked at me and cleared his throat.  

"Well my name is Drew. I'm 23 years old and I'm a marine. I haven't been deported in a while because of my sister having cancer and no one else being able to take care of her son Mika but me when she goes into the hospital. But most likely I will be deported again in a about six months. I have only killed people in battle and I'm usually on edge when I come back home. My sister is my only family because my parents died when my sister was sixteen. I am generally helpful to anyone, but most times I come off as mean. I could never hurt a woman; I don't like seeing you all cry. The last relationship I was in ended badly. She was not a good woman at all. She had fallen for me and I mean I did love her but I was a little lost. She stopped hoping I would marry her and cheated on me, I found out and she broke my arm. I was drunk,” he finished and was adjusted himself on the couch.  

I took a deep breath and started,” About two month ago I got attacked by someone who would have been my husband. I was on my way to my sister’s birthday party when it happened. My brother saved me he's a marine. I miss my family very much they are in New York. My parents are both living and well. My sister is sweet but crazy, my mother is a nervous wreck, my dad is strong, and my brother is strong. I don't know where my attacker is or why he wanted to go after me." I didn't realize I had started crying until Drew wiped the tears from my eyes. I looked at him and I could see that his heart had softened. 

"I'm sorry that happened to you. That's where the scars came from. Why would someone want to hurt the person they loved like that?" 

"I ask myself that question everyday." 

He moved closer to me hold me as I shook a little wanted to cry but I wanted to stay strong. 

"You don't have to be strong with me, ok." 

I shook my head ok but I was just tired of crying. I got up and went to the kitchen. Drew followed me he sat down at the table and took off his shirt, his muscles flexing as he did so. I stared at him and swallowed. I placed as glass in front of him and poured some water in it.  

"Thank you," he said as he drank the contents of the glass. I went back to the fridge and pulled out the ingredients to make fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  

"Hey will you wash your hands and peel these potatoes, please," I asked him as he gets up comes to the sink. 

"See how well I fixed you sink," he says as I giggled a little. 

"Yea it's perfect." He smiled down at me. He was 6'3 he had no choice but to look down with me being 5'5. I loved the height difference. He peeled the potatoes butt bumping me whenever he got a chance but I was to fast for him. I was trying to go between cleaning chicken to seasoning it to frying it. When I was done frying I made him put the potatoes in a pot to boil it and start cooking the green beans. Midway through cooking he started chasing me through the kitchen. He was warming up to me. He was funny and sweet to me. When dinner was done he sat at the table as I made us two plates. I placed to plates in front of him and one across from him. He dug in moaning while he ate. 

"I'm guessing its good," I said laughing at his facial expressions. He looked up at me and smiled. 

"You cook like a southern woman," he said stuffing his face. I laughed at him he could actually be silly. 

We finished eating and we were just sitting in my living room watching TV. He wanted to watch football and I warned him I would fall asleep. 

*Drew's POV  

I was falling for this girl and I just met her. I wanted to protect her and love me. I was feeling happy when I was with her she gave me a relaxed feeling. I was watching football my favorite sport next to baseball. My team was winning and I was being really loud. At first she was laughing at me then it went quiet. I look next to me when I saw she had falling asleep. How? I quite sure the neighbors could hear me and the next house was a three-miles from here. I moved to be closer to her and I responds she wrapped her arms around my waist snuggling into my chest. She felt so warm against my bare skin. I could get use to this. After the game was over I got up and took her to her room and tucked her in. I couldn't help myself. I kissed her on her forehead and said goodnight. I headed outside and walked home. I didn't mind walking. I gave metime to think.