Chapter Twenty-One: Behind Enemy Lines

"I can't believe I let you guys talk me into this suicide mission—" Leo whined from behind us as he dragged his steps, "You are going to get us all killed. Let's take on pure bloods? Yeah there is no way this could possibly go wrong..." His voice dripped with sarcasm as he continued to mumble to himself.

Libra let out a low growl of annoyance, "Shut your mouth or you wont have to worry about the pure bloods cause I'll kill you myself." I had to cover my laugh with a cough. Leo spoke under his breath but didn't tempt his sisters anger any further. I kept my attention on Bunny and Marshall who were walking quietly in front. Bunny was focusing her attention completely on tracking Silver's scent which I guess weakened her other senses she'd explained when I asked for her help in getting us to Silver. Knowing this Marshall huddled close to her on full alert to the world around us searching for any signs of threats. 

"How will we know when we've hit their territory?" Leo asked after a couple of silent minutes.

"We've been on their territory for past three miles..." Bunny replies without a pause. I feel my body tense at her statement, "How do you know that?" 

"I can smell them around—I mean they smell different but at the same time similar to Silver." She stops moving and lifts her face towards the sky, breathing in deeply. I followed her lead and closed my eyes as I breathed in the scents around me. I could smell Silver now, much stronger then before but I could also smell other wolves like she'd said. I opened my eyes feeling the need to be more aware of my surroundings. I had been distracted—correction I'd been continually distracted since Silver left making me and everyone else any easy target. 

"I think it would be best if we keep moving then don't you guys. I mean I don't want to be around if one of them wanders by..." Leo suggests to the group sounding anxious. Libra spins to look at her brother sending him a chilling look and he quickly shut his mouth.

"Give me a minute to focus on Silvers—" Bunny stopped talking and her body stiffened, "They know we're here." 

Marshall looked towards me with a grim expression as if to ask me what I wanted to do. There was only two options and that was stay and fight or run. I wasn't one for backing down but I had no idea what it would be like to fight a pure blood and I wasn't willing to risk Silvers pack over it. 

"Bunny, take Libra and Leo with you—Run on ahead and when you get far enough away, go high—" I point up toward a tree to let them know I wanted them to climb and hide up in the trees to get there scents up off the ground. Marshall gave me a dark look obviously not liking the idea of parting with Bunny but he wasn't arguing meaning he saw the necessity.

"Marshall and I will lead them away before we circle back around. If we're not back within the hour then I want you guys to turn back the way we came and return to Noah's pack." I don't want to risk them getting hurt or caught. Marshall moved towards Bunny pulling her into his arms, "You know that I love you very much, right?"

She nodded her head before shoving it into the safety of his chest, wrapping her fragile looking arms tightly around him. They held each for a moment before she pulled back and grabbed his face between her hands, "You remember your promise to me right?" I watch Marshall's eyes darken at her words and he gave her a silent nod. She pressed up on her tip toes and gave him a kiss before pulling away from him completely, "Then I expect to see you again soon."

I was curious about what type of promise he had made to his little mate but I imagined that was a secret between the two of them. Bunny looked toward Libra and Leo, "Come on guys—" She takes off to the left clearly she could smell that was the safest path. Libra snatched a hold of her brothers hand and pulled him behind her as they chased Bunny into the trees.