Chapter Thirty

Harry decided to order them pizza for dinner. They sat on the couch watching Lion King, both singing happily to the songs. While Adaley was deeply engrossed in the movie Harry excused himself. He disappeared into the kitchen and pulled out his phone. He took a deep breath.

"I'm probably gonna regret this." He mumbled and dialed the familiar number. His heart soared when the familiar voice came through the earpiece.

"Harry?" Louis asked in a tired voice. Harry felt his heart flutter at the sound of Louis' voice. He took a shaky breath and let it out slowly.

"Hey Louis. I know we're not speaking to each other but would you come over tonight? I really don't want to be alone." Harry whispered that last part, voice cracking slightly. Louis knew he shouldn't but he gave in.

"I'll be there in a few minutes. Want me to just use my key?" he asked and Harry smiled shyly.

"Yeah. That's fine." Harry murmured and hung up without saying goodbye. He went back and sat next to Adaley. She curled up in his lap and slowly drifted off to sleep, clinging to his shirt. He smiled and kissed the top of her head, holding her tightly. He flipped through the channels and landed on a Spanish soap opera. He watched the characters intently. Even though he didn't know Spanish he was still deep in the program when he heard the front door shut. When Louis walked into the living room his heart swelled with love when he looked at the scene. He pulled out his phone and silently took a picture, setting it as his background. When he looked back he saw Harry gently pressing his lips to the top of Adaley's head. As he stood there watching them he could feel himself falling harder for Harry. Images flashed in front of his eyes of Harry and himself making breakfast on a Sunday morning while their kids watched cartoons. He shook the image from his head and smiled.

"This is a cute view." Louis whispered and Harry's head snapped toward him, cheeks flushing a light pink.

"I'll be right back. I'm gonna go put Adaley down in the spare room." He said and lifted the little girl up. Louis nodded and watched Harry go. He sat down and looked at the TV, laughing softly at the soap opera. He'd been watching the same one when Harry called him. He looked back when Harry walked back into the room. Instead of the jeans he had on earlier Harry was wearing a pair of low hanging sweatpants and a plaid shirt with the sleeves ripped off and a sleeveless white tank top underneath. He sat next to Louis on the couch and put the TV on mute, turning to look at him. Louis noticed the bags under his eyes and how depressed he looked.

"What's wrong, Hazza?" Louis asked softly and Harry frowned.

"How do you know something's wrong?" he asked, playing with the bottom of his ratty tank top. Louis sighed softly and laid a hand on Harry's knee.

"Whenever you get upset you tug at your hair and you don't sleep. Your hair loses volume and you get dark bags under your eyes." Louis said softly, leaning back against the couch. Harry's eyes brimmed with tears.

"Katie hasn't been feeling the best lately so yesterday I took her to Wythenshawe. Mum and Robin both noticed she seemed pale and unwell looking. When we got there they did some tests and..." he stopped and let out a choked sob. "She has brain cancer." He cried and bowed his head, covering his face with his hands. Louis' heart broke for the boy and he wrapped his arms around Harry's body, pulling him close. Harry gripped Louis' shirt tightly as he cried. Louis kissed the top of his head and the both froze. Harry looked up at Louis with wide eyes. Louis nervously licked his lips before clearing his throat.

"Why's Adaley with you?" Louis asked trying to break their awkward staring contest.

"Terrance is with Katie at the hospital. He wanted me to bring Adaley back here for a while." Harry said softly and Louis nodded as he gently rubbed Harry's back.

"The boys missed you and the girls while you guys were in Holmes Chapel. Ni kept asking when he was going to see Adaley." Louis said with a soft laugh. Harry grinned and shook his head.

"Niall's gonna make a great dad one day." He murmured and Louis nodded, leaning slightly against Harry.

"He's been talking about this girl he met. Said her name is Alison but she goes by Ali. He seems infatuated with her." Louis said with a grin. Harry chuckled and shook his head.

"It's about time he found himself a good girl. I mean Liam's got Sophia and you've got Briana." Harry said and saw Louis since slightly. He licked his lips and thought before asking his next question. "How is she and the baby?"

"They're fine." Louis mumbled and pulled his knees up to his chest, resting his chin on them. Harry eyed him carefully before speaking.

"Louis. Don't lie to me. Is the baby yours?" Harry asked softly and nervously picked at his nails. Louis knew that if management found out what he was about to say then he'd be in a hell of a lot of legal trouble. He weighed his options. He could either have Harry continuing to hate him or he could tell Harry the truth and risk a lawsuit. He thought hard about it before making his decision.

"No it's not." Louis whispered and looked up at Harry. "I never slept with Briana. I never even kissed her. Management pushed it for all it was worth. They know her baby isn't mine but they played it up for publicity." He said softly and Harry nodded, looking at Louis intently. Louis looked up at him and sighed, biting his lip. "I guess I should tell the story from the beginning, shouldn't I?" he asked and Harry nodded.

"It'd be appreciated." Harry said, face void of emotion. Louis nodded and stood up.

"First I need to get the contract. I'll be right back." He said and Harry nodded. Louis started to walk away but he turned around and pressed a lingering kiss to the corner of Harry's mouth. He walked out of the apartment and Harry stared after him, fingers lightly touching the spot where Louis had kissed him. What Louis said finally sank in.

"Contract?"