2-D.I. Hawes.

About fifteen minutes later, Edmund finished his coffee. Bone had settled himself with some files and a third doughnut, so when Edmund placed the cup firmly down on the desk the Superintendent took some seconds to rouse himself.

"Ah, ah yes" Bone chuntered, easing himself out from his chair with a grunt and wiping his fingers on a little hand towel seemingly designed for the purpose. Edmund got up also, tucking his chair neatly under the desk and following the Superintendent out of the office, avoiding Amy's eager eyes.

He was actually more nervous than he would have liked to make out, so Edmund shoved his hands deep in his pockets as they trailed down another corridor, the Superintendent nodding and smiling at everyone they passed.

"Nerves, D.S. Gray?" Bone asked, as if reading his mind.

"More than I had" Edmund admitted, biting his lip as they walked. Bone gave him an almost fatherly smile.

"I hope they simmer down" he told the young man. "I've got high hopes for you. If anything, I'm expecting you to go out with a bang."

"I'm sorry?" Edmund spluttered, looking confusedly at the Superintendent. "Go out with a bang?"

"Oh, you know" Bone shrugged dismissively. "Big argument, doesn't matter who does most of the shouting. So long as it's something for the office to gossip about afterwards."

"I had no idea you were expecting so much of me, sir" Edmund replied dryly, with a little laugh, as Bone stopped in front of the last door on the right, a door of the same wood as all the others in the corridor but without all of the glass panelling.

"I'm an excellent judge of character, Detective Sargeant" Bone reminded him firmly. "Now, I'll let you knock."

He stepped back. Edmund took his place, and, rolling a nervy tongue around his teeth, raised his hand to knock. In that split second, he very nearly bottled it, but something drove his hand to make three smart raps on the wood.

"Do we go in?" he asked the Superintendent. Bone shook his head.

"She'll usually ye-"

"YES?"

"Yell." Bone finished reproachfully, setting his jaw and looking tiredly at the door. "Shall we, Detective Sargeant?"

He turned the handle, poking his head through the door. A strong scent of jasmine wafted out into the corridor, and Edmund sniffed it apprehensively.

"D.I. Hawes, I've brought your new sargeant down" Bone was saying. "Come on, D.S. Gray."

Bone opened the door and waddled through it, Edmund following him at a sensible distance. The office itself was quite plain, furnished in scarlet and cream, with dark wooden furniture, and two little slitbox-windows on the far wall letting two tiny hints of sunlight in. There was another long, thin window running along the top of the opposite wall, which would have looked into the outside corridor if the windowsill hadn't been stacked full to burst with files, books and papers, probably deliberately, Edmund thought. There was a whiteboard in the farthest corner, with a whole stack of different pens next to it, and a big old map of London framed next to that, the faded brown of the map blending nicely with the cream of the walls. Along from the map, opposite the door, Edmund could just about make out what was probably supposed to be a sargeant's desk, complete with computer, underneath mounds of more papers and files, papers and files which seemed to spill out of the bookshelves lining the rest of the walls. The only exception to this was the corner to Edmund's left, where a heavily robust, dark wood desk loomed, lamp lighting on the left side and a plush, red leather desk chair lurking behind it. In the chair, steely eyes firmly fixed on the computer screen in front of her, Edmund assumed sat D.I. Hawes.