15-A Couple Of Surprises.

Edmund was discharged from hospital a day later. His solitary day in the ward had been punctuated with visits from a concerned Bumble and Tink in the morning, Tiger and a rather amused Rizz at about lunch, and Foxy sneaking in at about half past four with a smuggled McDonalds and two cans of beer. Edmund didn't dare ask how she had got it all past the reception desk.

Tiger brought him home in his car at half past six. They were still opening Andromeda in the evening, so Edmund was hustled upstairs and snuggled up on the sofa, and Tink deposited a yummy-looking curry and a big glass of apple squash on his lap with a smile.

"We've gotta go finish setup, man" Tiger apologised, as the big man passed Edmund another blanket. "Foxy can't stay up tonight-she's planned a Caribbean fiesta for this evening-"

"I saw" Edmund cut in, with a small smile. "I'm in shock, Tigger, not blind. The decor looks fantastic. Who did we buy off?"

"There's a new party place opened on Grange Street" Tiger sniggered. "And Foxy's latest boyfriend apparently works in landfill. And apparently they use sand in landfill these days."

"Sounds dodgy" Edmund commented. Despite everything, he was totally accustomed to his friends' ways of 'calling in favours' with people, or 'buying them off' (usually with VIP tickets to Andromeda) as Edmund preferred to put it.

"We got the stuff, and that's the point" Tiger pointed out, rolling his eyes. "Anyone'd think all this bloody policing's rubbing off on you, Mundy."

"I'm starting to think it's bad for my health" Edmund commented dryly, taking a sip of the apple squash and reveling in an evening drink that wasn't alcoholic.

"I'm inclined to agree." Foxy had stuck her head in at the front door. Edmund couldn't see what she was wearing, but the huge pink and purple flower that was pinned vibrantly to her head sort of set the tone.

"Tiger, c'mon" she called urgently. "People'll be here in a minute. The door needs bouncing."

"Aye aye, captain" Tiger smirked. "Mundy, rest up well. We've all got our phones on. Text any of us if you need anything."

Edmund smiled at them both as they left, before exhaling deeply. He was still feeling a little dreary, he realized, as he picked the chicken out of his curry.

His phone was on the side table, placed carefully within his reach by one or other or his friends, Edmund suspected.

He checked it. No messages from Hawes, and none from any number that could be Anna's. In fact, no messages from work at all.

Feeling a little unwanted, Edmund put his phone down and finished his curry in silence. The music picked up from downstairs, a calypso tune. Tink would be in her element, Edmund thought-he was positive he had seen some starfruit and some pomegranates lurking behind the bar on his way up. Tink would be making fruit cocktails potent enough to knock you into next month.

Edmund had decided already that alcohol wouldn't be a part of his life for the next week or so, otherwise he would have asked for one. According to Tink, who was probably the closest to an expert Edmund had on these matters, alcohol wasn't good for shock.

He put the curry plate in the sink and checked his phone again. Nothing.

Therefore, Edmund went to bed.

→→→

Tiger gave Edmund another lift into work a few days later. A little nervously, Edmund made his way down to Hawes' s office and knocked on the door three times.

"YES?"

Smiling faintly, Edmund let himself in. Hawes was at her desk, which in itself was strewn with paperwork, and she had her computer on as well. She looked up.