4-The Most Beautiful Girl in the World-and a Dead One.

Edmund sneaked out of the flat fifteen minutes later, hair wet from his speedy shower and a Thermos mug of steaming coffee in his hand. His tie still hung undone around his neck, and having written a quick note to the others to tell them where he had gone, Edmund decided he was going to have to cycle.

The Andromeda Club was scarily quiet as Edmund slipped into the stockroom to get his bike. He would have borrowed Tiger's car, parked subrusively a few streets along, but he would have to firstly have written another note and secondly have his head ripped violently from his shoulders when he returned. Tiger was very protective over his car.

After doing up his tie, tucking his trousers into his socks and clipping the Thermos mug into the bike's drink holder (which he had modified for that specific purpose) Edmund pushed off and began to make his way down to Observatory Street. He wasn't quite sure what to expect. Hawes had said a dead body, hadn't she? He had been rather groggy during their brief phone call, and he had picked up on the place but not entirely the problem at-Edmund checked his watch in a streetlamp as he rode past-quarter to five on a Tuesday morning.

All the same, Edmund was secretly praying for a minor break in, but the words dead body stuck in his mind, floating around, and the longer he rode the more he was certain that it was what Hawes had said. Mentally, he steeled himself, just in case.

Edmund rounded the final dark bend into Observatory Street, and was hit with a wall of bright lights, sirens, and police tape. It took a second for his eyes to adjust as he dismounted, before wheeling his bike down the pavement and leaving it next to one of the police cars. Untucking his trousers, grabbing his coffee and the I.D card he had been given that very afternoon, Edmund walked a little nervously up to the tape, trying not to let his nerves show on his face or in his actions.

A regular officer stopped him at the tape.

"D.S. Gray" Edmund told her, holding his card up to the light for the officer to see.

"Sir" the officer replied, holding the tape up to let him by. She was a plain little thing, short, with thin, mousy brown hair tied in a neat bun at the nape of her neck, a few straggly strands of her fringe falling out of the front. Edmund barely noticed this, as he was still reeling over being called sir.

"Is D.I. Hawes around?" he asked the officer. She looked up at him in surprise.

"You're her sargeant, sir?" she couldn't help but ask.

"Probably not for much longer, but yeah" Edmund replied, laughing dryly. She giggled a little as well.

"Good luck, sir" she smiled, sounding very sincere.

"I'll need it" Edmund agreed, sighing and taking a sip of his coffee. "Where is she?"

"Just arrived, sir" the officer pointed, as indeed, Hawes was just getting out of her car a little way away. Feeling a little proud that he had beaten her to the scene, Edmund walked over.

"Morning, ma'am" he greeted, as politely as he could manage, as she shut and locked her car door. She turned, looking him up and down with an air of utter disbelief.

"Good morning" she said, matter of factly, striding past him, flashing her I.D quickly at the officer Edmund had just been chatting to and ducking under the tape. Shrugging, Edmund followed her, flashing his I.D at the girl again just for fun.

"Well" Hawes was saying, as she walked. "What do we have here? Where's Kovlova?"

The last question had been snapped at an unfortunate officer standing guard. Looking terrified, he pointed over to a white van.