4

Edited

We walk into my house and I slip my shoes off tossing them on the bench beside the door. Derek watches me intently a scowl covering his face since we left the party.

"I'm going to go find your dad." He states looking around the house before looking back at me, scanning over my body. "Go take a shower." He demands "I'll be up to check on you after I speak to him." He pulls me towards him placing a kiss on my forehead softly. "I'm so sorry this happened." He whispers his eyes filled with rage and guilt. He walks off into the direction of my dads study, without me having to tell him a thing.

I walk to my bathroom switching the shower on and throwing my clothes in a pile in the corner. I stare at my ripped shirt and then at myself in the mirror memories of minutes before flashing through my mind making me cringe a vile taste rising in the back of my throat.

Derek's red blazing eyes seep into my mind as I shower, thinking of the way he sounded almost canine when he spoke. As frightened as I should be, I'm not. I'm oddly intrigued by the it all, if it wasn't for him I don't want to know what would've happened tonight.

I step out of the shower drying off before putting on some leggings and one of my moms old college sweat shirts.

I walk down the hall to the kitchen grabbing a glass of water before tip toeing my way to my dads study. I hear their voices lowly as I lean my ear against the door.

I was always warned to never pry in business that wasn't mine; but I find it hard to believe they aren't talking about the events that happened tonight.

"You're telling me you didn't kill him?" I hear my dad whisper angrily. "What type of mate let's a man go after trying that shit."

Mate? What on earth is a mate.

"You don't think I wanted to!" Derek growls "she was right there." He adds "it's not my fault you are keeping this shit a secret." He grumbles tension clear as day between the two of them.

I press my ear closer to the door.

"For good reason! She doesn't deserve to be apart of this life." My dad raises his voice "lower your fucking voice." Derek warns him. "You know what I think of this, I was jus telling you what happened."

"How did he even get into the house in the first place?" My dad questions making Silence fill the room and I almost run back to my room before I get caught putting my nose where it isn't wanted.

" I don't know but Trust me when I say I'll kill him myself as soon as I leave here." Derek starts making me gasp backing away from the door. "I didn't want her seeing that shit."

"I want to be there." My dad tells Derek simply I hear my dad lock his safe then foot steps heading my way making me panic and run into the kitchen grabbing an apple from the fridge quickly and taking a bite of it. I stare out the window facing my back towards the study.

"I didn't know you were already out of the shower." Derek says from behind me I twist around setting the apple on the counter. "Oh yeah just got out." I tell him hoping I don't get caught in my lie. He nods his head looking over my body once more, pain filling his eyes.

"Maize girl!" My dad walks out of his study after a few moments hugging me tightly. "How was your night?" He asks me, pretending like he hasn't got a clue of incident.

"It was fine." I murmur staring at Derek before turning around to head to my room. "I'm going to head to bed." I announce to no one in particular grabbing the glass of water.

I hear my dad say goodnight as I walk into the room and close the door but Derek slips his foot in to stop it. "Can we talk?" He asks inching his way in the room. I nod sitting the water on my side table taking a seat on the bed. "Tell me about your eyes." I start and he shakes his head turning his back to me.
"I can't." He tells me honestly

"Then go." I state coldly "I'm not in the mood to be lied to or kept in the dark. So if you won't tell me then you can go." I know I'm being rude but it's true after the night I've had I'm not in the mood to kept on the outside of whatever is happening.

"Don't be like that." He begs coming towards me but I plan to stand my ground. I stand up walking past him to the door and opening it. "Go." I say again and he walks over to me closing the door and pulling me towards him.

"It isn't my place." He pleads with me his hands cupping my cheeks. I push them away raising my eye brows waiting for him to say something. "You're serious?" He questions shock in his eyes "don't make me go." His voice is soft as he inches closer to me hovering over me, I can almost feel his lips against my own. "Kiss me?" 

I take a deep breath regaining my composure titling my head away from him. "Either start talking or
Go." I tell him my voice clipped. He sighs deeply his head resting against my shoulder placing a light kiss on my collar bone, before he backs away.

"I'll see you soon Maize." He says before leaving the room. The way he says my name sounds like it was made for only him to say, the way he stares at me so intently making my knees weaken. I feel my heart beat rapidly, regret filling my body.

I should've kissed him.