8

Clear water, Oregon.

"You better talk to your dad tonight." Derek tells me before pulling me closer to him his lips pressing to my forehead. "I already told you I would didn't I?" I peer up at him pouting my lips out. He pinches my bottom lip between his teeth pushing my back against the side of his truck. "Don't test me Maiz." He smirks making me roll my eyes at him. "I will talk to him once I get inside, which you're stopping me from by the way." I poke his chest walking towards the passenger side grabbing my school bag. "I'll come by later?" It was more him telling me than asking. I nod as he wraps his arms around me pressing another kiss on top of my head. "I'll text you." I coo at him the look on his face is still weary. "If I need you I know where to find you D, I'll be okay." I smile up at him trying to reassure him.

"It's a lot to take in Maize, I don't want you to feel overwhelmed with it all baby." The nickname rings in my ear making my heart flutter. I stand on my tip toes landing a kiss to Derek's cheek. "I will call you if anything happens." I walk up to the front porch waving him off as he reluctantly gets in his car and drives off.

"Dad I'm home!" I call out putting my bag and shoes on the bench. "Hey sweetie!" He hugs me as I walk into the kitchen, then continues chopping up the vegetables on his cutting board before throwing them in a pot. "whats that look on your face about?grab a knife and help." I nod grabbing a spare knife and helping him chop the veggies. "Go on spit it out." He urges me, I've always been opened with both my mom and dad, and when she passed it brought me and my dad even closer. I knew I could talk to him about anything, but now I'm suddenly nervous and don't know how to bring any of this up.

"I know what Derek is." I say slowly chopping the carrot and eyeing my dad waiting for his reaction, but he doesn't say anything. "And that I'm his mate." I add and he looks up at me setting his knife down sighing deeply. "I knew this day would come." He shakes his head walking over to the breakfast table.

I sit across from him "I don't want you to get mad at him, he only told me what he did because I forced it out of him. He is the one who is so Persistent on you being the one to tell me everything else." I blurt out when he doesn't say anything making sure he doesn't get angry with Derek.

"I know how convincing and stubborn you can be." He chuckles "just like your mom." He smiles sadly I take his hand into mine. "She never wanted you part of this life." He begins "your mom and me were both part of Derek's pack, long ago before it was Derek's but his grandfathers. But Maize, your mom was a hybrid. Both wolf and vampire. Hybrids aren't loved around here, her parents where shunned when they had her against the packs wishes. That's why your mom never wanted to live here, so I moved to wherever would make her happy. I left the pack behind and followed my heart with her." His eyes are fixated on a picture of all three of us on the mantle above the fireplace, his eyes sad. "She made me promise her to never bring you here, but I couldn't survive the pain of losing her without this pack. I needed support. Now I feel like I betrayed her."

I wrap my arms around my dad, tears filling both ours eyes. "I don't think she would be mad dad, we are both so happy here." I tell him "she would want us to be happy." I assure him wiping the tears from my eyes as he does the same clearing his throat.

"Do you ever wonder if it's was really just a car wreck?" I ask him and his eyes shoot up to mine. "You know I don't like talking about that night, you shouldn't either. It was a traumatic night that we need to leave alone dear." He always shoots me down We I bring that night up. "But if she was a hybrid why didn't she survive?" I question he stand up from the table "leave it." He tells sternly again "I deserve answers dad! I can handle it." I tell him my voice raising slightly. "Will I be a hybrid too like her? Will they shun me?" I press on not being able to stop myself.

"Enough!" He shouts slamming his hands against the table making me jump back. "That's is enough Maize, I'm done talking for tonight." He walks out of the room and upstairs leaving me alone tears pricking in my eyes. I grab my phone dialing Derek's number hesitatingly before pressing it up to my ear.