Childhood Bestfriends with Hollywood's Golden Boychapter17

COPYRIGHT

RECAP :

“So come on Ella Bear, let’s get inside and explore” Ari said playfully, pulling my hand gently and we began to walk towards the start of the path, pushing open the white fence door, grinning like kids.

……………………………………………………………………………

Chapter 17

Ari pulled me along, through the white fence, across the plush manicured lawn ‘s stone pathway and we both skipped up the white porch steps to the door. The sea’s gentle wind made my hair blow off to the side and Ari’s golden hair was still ruffled funnily from the drive as we stood grinning like kids in front of the door.

The same stained glass door I’d stood in front of as a child, waiting for ballet, tap or the after school playgroup, idly tracing the Art deco dark green, purple, and white swirls in the glass.

I just couldn’t break the huge grin that had taken over my face; I looked to my left, scanning the expanse of sea to the left of the cliff, as the different facets of the waves caught the sun, letting out a bright white light that made me squint. I could feel myself instinctively relaxing, my shoulders tensing less.

Sandy cove community centre, now Blossom row House, had always had this calming effect on me. I think it’s the sea. The rhythmic lapping of the waves against the shore, the quiet peace of it’s isolated private beach and grounds, combined with the clean salty air that swept in from the sea. It had been my idea of paradise and my dream home since I was about five.

I can’t tell you how annoyed I was when I realised that because it was government owned I couldn’t buy it when I was older. Seriously cheesed off.

I turned back to the door, to find Ari looking out at the sea as well with a slight smile on the corner of his lips. I could see his face’s incredibly even profile from were we were and noticed how relaxed he looked. “ This place makes me feel so calm, do you think everyone feels that as well?” he said softly, looking out onto the sea.

I couldn’t help but feel super jealous of Ari’s Grandpa Pete and the other retirees for living in my dream house. Almost made me want to be a pensioner. Like seriously.

I would be in there with old lady shoes, a grey wig and a walking stick if I thought it would allow me to live there for a bit.

I looked up at him and squeezed his hand, making him look down at me with a smile on his face. “ Yep. I think they do. Even in the winter when the sea shakes up a storm it’s weirdly peaceful.” I said, Ari replied wordlessly by squeezing my hand slightly as he remained looking out over the sea. I knew he felt exactly like me. This place was a slice of paradise for both of us and held huge chunks of some of our best childhood memories. I was suddenly aware of how although I had held Ari’s hand - my best friends hand- so many times before, something felt different as his warm hand encased mine. It was just like the shift I’d felt in our relationship when he arrived back.

I guess, what I felt was like the after tremors of an earthquake, which continue to change a landscape. Everything was still changing, settling into a new form, the consequences of the transformation rippled into our friendship subtly.