Ch. 5

Ch. 5

Summer of 2001

Long Island NY

Three young half-bloods and a satyr trudged their way out of the woods toward a large hill in an empty section of Long Island. The oldest was a boy no older than 14. The satyr looked to be about the same age while the first girl looked a few years younger, and the last girl and youngest of the group was no more than 7 or 8 years old. There was no sign of any civilization in the area other and a sign off the road that read 'Delphi Strawberry Farm'. On the trail of the three young demi-gods and satyr was a small army of monsters led by the three punishers of the underworld, Alecto, Tisiphone and Megaera, also known as the Furies. There were Hellhounds, Cyclops, Empousai and a few other assorted species of monsters. As they reached the top of the hill, they became surrounded and were forced back to back to defend themselves as the group of monsters inched closer. The older girl seemed to be their main target with little interest in the other three other than maybe as a late night snack.

A fury who appeared to be the leader stepped forward to address the half-bloods. "Your father thinks he can break an oath he forced my master into without consequences simply because he is King of the Gods. Unfortunately for you Thalia Grace that is not how things work. You will face the consequences of your father's arrogance."

Three of the group seemed very confused about the fury's statement while the satyr just trembled as he stared at the fury Alecto.

Shaking uncontrollably, the girl took a step away from her three friends. Quietly, under her breath, she told her friends, "When I attack I need you three to run across the top of the hill. Once over the border you will be safe from the monsters."

The boy, who had looked like the leader, immediately protested saying, "Thalia, there is no way I'm leaving you to fight an army of monsters by yourself. I will fight with you, as a team, like we always do."

"Luke, there isn't a lot of time. You need to get Annabeth across the border. You know Grover won't be able to fend off the monsters by himself; you need to protect Annabeth like we promised we would. Once you get across the border, run for help while I hold them off." Thalia stated

Luke looked like he wanted to protest but one look from Thalia's electric blue eyes told him it was not open for discussion. He nodded sadly and grabbed Annabeth's hand before readying himself to sprint across the hill.

Thalia took out what looked like a canister of mace before it transformed into a deadly celestial bronze spear. She slapped the bracelet on her wrist which sprang into a terrifying shield with the head of the gorgon Medusa as a design. Even the monsters flinched at the sight of the shield.

Thalia took a few deep breaths to calm herself; she was quite sure she would not survive long enough for help to arrive. But she knew it was her that the monsters were after. Whatever it was that her father had done, had brought the monsters to her group, it had not been Annabeth or Luke's parents. She would not let her friends die for something they had no part in.

"NOW!" She yelled as she jumped forward slamming her spear into the eye of the nearest Cyclops.

Her friends sprinted toward the hill and across the border just as Thalia thought they would be able to do. The monsters were here for her and her alone.

As she fought, she could feel herself tiring as there were simply too many monsters for her to ward off alone. She had killed a dozen at least, including the fury Tisiphone. After impaling another Hellhound with her spear, a Cyclops that had snuck behind her and swatted her with the giant club it carried.

Thalia flew several feet into an Empousa which slammed a dagger into her stomach before knocking her back into the feet of Alecto.

Thalia knew her wounds were fatal. Her vision was already starting to blur and she felt herself about the lose consciousness. Refusing to give the monsters the satisfaction of seeing her show fear, she defiantly stared at Alecto, refusing to pass out as the fury prepared to stab a dagger into the young demi-gods heart.