Ch. 17

Ch.17

Perseus, Thalia, Clarisse and Zoe stepped out of the vortex into the living room of Perseus' palace. Thalia and Clarisse turned to Perseus, who gave them a nod, acknowledging that he wanted some time alone with Zoe.

"Let's go train Claire." Thalia said to Clarisse who smiled and nodded in return. Both vanished into a shadow off to a different part of the palace.

Perseus turned to Zoe who smiled warmly at him. He tried to put on a happy face for her but after over a thousand years together, she could see through his attempt rather easily. She frowned at him with a questioning look on her face. He grabbed her hand and pulled her onto his lap as he sat on the couch.

"What's wrong love?" She asked worriedly.

Perseus sighed, "Things are not going well with the war. For the first time in my life, my father is unsure of our ability to win. He says he wants me to step away if we can't find something to help our chances in the war." Perseus said depressed.

Zoe's eyes widened at his statement. "You mean just abandon the Gods to fight against your siblings?" She asked, scared of his answer.

Perseus saw the look on her face and pulled her tighter to him. "That's what he wants but I already told him that it wasn't an option. I will die before I let my sister destroy the world. He told me that I could save you, Thalia, Clarisse, and my mother along with some others and bring them here but I can't. I was supposed to be the one to make a difference and I can't just abandon everyone on Earth to the wrath of my siblings." He said seriously.

Zoe was suddenly very worried. If Chaos thought the war was hopeless then what chance could they really have?

Perseus could feel her anxiety and pulled her into a soft gentle kiss, allowing both to temporarily forget their worries. Once they pulled apart Zoe dug her head deeper into his chest while he gently rested his chin on her head.

"Percy, what do you think about our chances in the war?" She asked slightly more relaxed in his arms.

Perseus thought for a moment before he responded. "I'm not sure really. I know our chances are slim but something deep inside me tells me not to lose hope. I mean Earth gave me the majority of the important things in my life. It's where my mother lives, where my sister Clarisse and daughter Thalia are from, as well as the few friends I've made since revealing myself. And most importantly, it's where I met the love of my life." He told her as he kissed the top of her head. "I can't abandon the place that gave you to me. I just can't. And although I don't have a lot of love for the Olympians, I can't leave the few Gods that are my friends to fight an unwinnable war." He said sincerely.

Zoe sighed happily in his arms, reminded of one of the many reasons why she fell in love with him.

The two sat in comfortable silence for several minutes before Zoe finally broke them out of their moment.

"Do you want to train, like you told Artemis we needed to before we left? She asked.

Perseus smiled slyly, "Actually no, I've been stressed out about the war and I needed to spend some time with you. I need a reminder of the things I will fight for in the war." He whispered in her ear.

Zoe smiled happily. She had hoped that was why he had asked for her to come.

"We can train later, time moves much slower here than on earth. We have nearly an entire day before I have to return you to your camp. I want to enjoy as much time with you as I can." He whispered to her while smiling.

Zoe nodded, her head still nestled in his chest. "I have faith in you Percy. I know we can win this war as long as we have you with us." She said sweetly.