Chapter 7

After that time, I decided to be more careful around Cecil. When he came to the café, I tried to act carefully. I also have to worry about Shion, so the whole situation is tiring me out.

And I have to keep from bothering Akira. I'll try not to do anything careless.

Lately, there's been a strong reason for why I'm trying to do this.

"Nothing really, I just wanted to hear your voice. If something happened, just give me a call, all right?"

The last time that Akira called me, it seemed he sounded a bit strange. Afterward, we talked a bit and then hung up. I wonder if it's because he felt he was a little weaker towards me.

I've never heard him complaining or pouring out problems. I wonder if he's just been letting them stew inside him.

 If he is worried about something, I want to be the one to listen to him and help. It just seems it goes on without me changing. Or I would likely end up making him worried again. So, I have to work to change myself from now on. Akira has always watched and worried about me through all my hard times. Now I'm fully aware of how lucky I have been. I decided that it was time to change.

***

It seems like I had so much trouble in the past. It may take time to make this change. But if I keep at it, I can change bit by bit.

I won't let that event at the park happen again. I'm going to recast my own life.

??? "Do you have a non-smoking seat open?"

"Yes, I'll take you..."

I was so deep in my own thoughts, I didn't notice the customer enter. I took a menu and turned around to meet him—it was Shion.

"W...welcome to the café."

He watched me take a step back, with a smile of interest.

"When so many customers are here, I'm not going to do anything to you. So don't get so bothered."

But in his smiling eyes I could see he was planning something. I took his order and went back to the counter. When I was returning, I felt like I was running away from him.

He scared me... I have to be more careful to not get so involved with my thoughts.

I looked up at Shion while thinking about him and he smirked back at me as our eyes met. I remember his red eyes looking at me, and it made me shiver, and what he said to me at the park.

"Is it ok that you get so close to me when you're defenseless? I might attack you, and eat you up."

***

 I felt uncomfortable, and turned back to the counter. Usually the boss is there and cleaning things up, but he's off today, instead, Akira is standing in his place. If I act strangely or make a mistake or something, he'll notice. And then he'll cover up things, that might...I have to keep that from happening. Since I decided that I have to defend myself by myself, I built up my courage, and bit my lip.

It was just the same with Cecil too...I have to be careful around Shion. If I'm not, then the same thing could...

After I handed the order slip to him I got caught up in my own thoughts. Then I found the coffee was ready on the counter table.

Akira gave my the order. "Here, you're order is up, Table 3."

"Ah...ok. Thanks."

I reached to the cup, and my hand stopped. Without knowing I locked onto Akira's face.