Part 2

POV Adeline

Once everyone finished their breakfast, we parted ways as we had different things to attend to. My brother as the future Alpha of the pack went to the Alpha meeting along with the other members of the Alpha's council. He had been really focused on his training the past year in order to become the best Alpha that my pack had ever had. On the othe contrary, my mother stayed at home because she had some preparations to check and she wanted to be the one to look at them thoroughly. In the end, Jack and I were left alone and decided to stroll through the beautiful forest that surrounded my pack.

Only few hours were left until I could finally shift to my wolf and the mere thought of it brought excitement to me. It was something I had been expected since I had been little.

The endless forest seemed more alive than ever before as the chirping of the birds and the small water streams were the only things audible in the comforting silence. The sunlight was been reflecting on the green leaves as if it had been creating gates for the fairy world. It was offering a magical sense as we strolled. Everything looked content and peaceful.

I kept gazing around the nature with amazement once again with a small smile playing on my lips. At some point, though, I focused on Jack who was walking in front of me but hadn't uttered a word since we left the pack house. This made me arch an eyebrow confused and move my feet faster towards him.

"You look really beautiful in this dress today Adeline." I heard him saying out of nowhere, probably sensing me approaching. He was still with his back to me.

This caught me off guard and my nerves tensed up by his tone."Thank you." I expressed trying to find the reason behind his behavior.

Awkward silence prevailed the air once again and I started playing softly with the hem of my dress. It was the first time we had been in such situation and I didn't know how to handle it.

"I bet you must be really jumping from happiness today. If you are lucky, you will probably find your mate." His words oddly bitter as he had his hands in his pockets.

"Well, I can say that I am looking foward to it." I confessed but still he didn't turn his head to my direction. I stopped my walk and asked."Is something wrong?"

He noticed that I wasn't following him any more and came at a halt as well. Turning to my side he didn't land me a single glance but had pursed his lips into a thin line. There was something definitely something wrong. I knew him like the back of my hand.

"Not at all." He noted and I bit my lower lip baffled at his behavior. He had been really energetic few hours ago which made me wonder why his mood had changed so drastically.

"Don't lie to me Jack." I stated and he just shrugged. "First of all, look at me in the eyes when I am talking to you."

He seemed lost in thought for a moment as he rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably. What was going on in his mind was a complete mystery to me.

"Look at me!" I ordered him suddenly and his eyes widened hearing the tone of my voice. A soft sigh left my lips and I begged more calm this time. "Please?"

He looked troubled as he clenched his fists tightly and drew a deep breath.

"Fine. It's just that I know that you'll just forget me once you find your lovely mate." He gritted his teeth out of frustration looking for once straight in my eyes which wasn't that difficult as I was quite tall."The moment you meet him, you will live with him without a second thought and I'll be left alone. I don't want it, Adeline!"

I felt my heart heavy as I heard his confession because I knew that It was partly true. Unfortunately, we had to live together with our mate even if he were on the other side of the earth. The worst thing was that I hadn't found him yet which both of us had been led to the conclusion that he might have not been from our pack. This was even worse for him and it made me feel awful. My facial features softened and I approached him. It hadn't even crossed my mind that he felt like that the whole time. He hadn't even found his own mate, yet which was making him anxious and lonely.

"Jack." I wrapped my hands around his and looked at him bored into his eyes. "Even if I find my mate, you will always be a great part of my heart. You'll be the person who helped me through many difficult days and had stood up for me myriad times. I'll never ever forget you."

Hearing my statement his eyes went round as he stared deeply to my eyes for a moment. His head lowered and a sigh slipped away from his mouth.

"You are right. I was fucking stupid for even thinking that way." He lifted his head having a half smile playing on his lips."I am sorry."

"It's okay." I touched his shoulder comfortingly and nodded.

The smoky eyes flashed in my mind once again and a sudden noise made me turn my head rapidly to its origin. Touching my forehead, I felt a headache making its appearance as I looked around me in alertness.

"Did you hear that?" I asked Jack while eyeing suspiciously the forest. This unsettling feeling was nudging me even more as time passed.

"What has gotten into you? You seem oddly agitated today."He asks looking at me questioningly.

Landing a swift look at the forest I shook my head and chuckled."It must be my excitement for today. That's all." I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

My imagination plays tricks on me.

With this thought pushed in the back of my mind, we started walking again. That feeling never stopped burning inside me, preparing me.