Part 6

POV Adeline

Pulling the covers aside, I rose to my feet and my eyes found the spare clothes placed on a purple couch across me. I set my ear above the door and sighed in relief as I didn't hear any footsteps. Without any further delay, I moved towards the couch and took off the hospital robe. My movements swift because it would be awfully embarassing getting caught mid-naked out of nowhere. Thankfully, I finished before I heard a knock coming from the door and I ran back to the bed to take a seat.

Drawing a quick last breath. "Come in." I said calmly. 

The door opened and the familiar man walked in. A smile plastered his feautures when his coffee brown eyes met mine. As far as I remembered he had been adressed as the Beta by Damon.

"I am here to show you your room. Are you ready?" He asked and I offered a small nod.

He extended his hand and helped me to stand up. With this, we wended our way towards a long hallway and my mind drifted back to my old pack. I couldn't help it but wonder if they were thinking about me, if they were worried. Jack's hurt expression flashed in my head and I clenched my one hand tightly. 

"I am Lucas by the way." The Beta said dragging me out of my racing thoughts. This made me tilt my head to the side and give a slight smile.

"Adeline." I replied and a grin tugged on his mouth.

My eyes trailed around the brilliant place, admiring the architecture of the building which was a combination of modern but at the same time elegant style. This pack seemed to flourish in prosperity. After all, it was the notorious Redmoon pack that we were talking about. They were considered the most dangerous warriors in the world and everyone feared that they would be their next prey. They had a tendency to conquer packs and burn them to ashes without remorse.

A shiver ran down my body as memories of the corpses decorating the ground appeared in my mind. My insides turned upside down recalling my pack members' glassy eyes staring at me.

"We are aware that you might hate us." Lucas started making me tilt my head to his side. "But I assure you that your arrival has brought a new spark of hope."

My eyebrows narrowed in confusion at his words. "Hope for what?" I asked but he just shook his head not answering.

"Here we are." He unlocked a door and pushed it open revealing a lovely and quite spacious room. 

My eyes streamed on every inch of it as we stepped inside. Everything seemed so luxurious and comfortable. However, the thing that truly captured my attention was the view of the wild forest that was being unfolded in front of the balcony. My eyes stayed staring at it for a moment captivated.

"I hope you like the room." Lucas noted. "The Alpha himself chose it."

His sudden words made my heart flutter unwantedly and I turned my body back to meet him. Nevertheless, the sting returned in my chest as I recalled Damon's words when he made his offer to me. It wasn't him who expressed affection in random times but his wolf. To his human side, I was considered a nothing which felt like concrete drying in my heart.

"Thank you." I replied forcing a smile that didn't reach my eyes.

"Even if I am not the right person for you to say 'thank you', I am glad you like it." Lucas expressed and placed his fingers on the door. "I have to go, now."

I nodded at him and with this he walked out of the room closing the door with a light thud behind him. I was left alone once again and I made my way towards the bed where my eyes fell upon some carefully packed clothes. My gaze averted to my reflection on a nearby mirror and my eyes widend taking my appearance. Dirt was covering my face and my hair looked similar to a bird nest. I was in the desperate need of a long bath.

With this I made my way towards the bathroom which was endowed with the same luxury as the rest of the room. Filling the bathtub with warm water, I undressed myself and stepped inside allowing the heat to overwhelm me. I cleaned my hair and body and once I finished, a deep content sigh escaped my mouth. My muscles relaxed and my mind felt at peace, after such events that had turned my life upside down.

For almost half an hour I stayed inside the water until it started getting cold. This made me stand to my feet and my eyes spotted some white towels placed on the sink. Taking one in my grasp, I wrapped it around my figure and stepped out of the bathtub. Rubbing my blond hair with the other one, I walked towards the bedroom to change.

My body froze when my gaze landed on Damon's tall figure standing in the middle of the room.

"What are you doing here?!" I exclaimed, aware of the electricity in air. I didn't remember feeling that way with any other man in my life. Perhaps that might have been what most people claimed they felt fireworks when they were near their mate.

His smoky eyes darkened while trailling their way on my body, burning it with feverish kisses. My heart accelerated as I distinguished the familiar glazing over in his gaze. My hand clenched on my towel as his scent hit my nostrils, a scent I was quickly becomimg addicted to. A tingling sensation disrupted my insides and I was caught in his web.

He approached me and a tiny gasp escaped my lips.

He grabbed me by my waist, pulling me up close against his hard chest.

"Don't touch me!"

My breaths were coming out rapid. Even though I had said these words, my body stayed close. He traced his fingers from my bare leg to my waist and my eyes started watering unconsciously. His touch was similar to flames. My wolf was purring from the touch.

"Damon." My voice weak and I lifted my head meeting his stormy eyes. 

Suddenly, he stopped and stared at me for a second. Unwrapping his arms from around me and took a step back. He lowered his head for a moment.

"Dinner will be ready at seven." His voice hoarse.

With this he opened the door and stepped out without leaving me any time to speak.