Chapter 5 - The Date

...

Swallowing up my pride, I approached the commander with a feminine twirl, coiling my arms around his neck. From the knowledge I had, Seris's act consisted of being innocent, sweet, well-mannered, and so forth, but clingy all the same.

"Raven! Ravennn~!" I semi-shouted with a smile.

His orange-gold eyes averted to me softly. "Mm? Seris?"

At that moment, a twinge of nervousness had immediately struck. I felt stiff, even if it was only for a few seconds. What was that about? Assassination never appeared this way to me before. I always kept a ruthless disposition to get the job done; where was this unexplained anxiety coming from? No, there was nothing to be afraid of. Perhaps it was just a misunderstanding.

"A date. Let's go on a date!" I proceeded to offer, delivering the plan.

Raven's cheeks lightly flushed, though it was barely noticeable. "What's with this all of a sudden? Are you feeling alright?" he mumbled.

"Are you saying that you'll refuse? Okay..." I glanced away, faking a frown.

"Ah, no. Of course not, Your Highness. It is part of my contract to do whatever you wish to please; it is an honour, Queen Seris. Where would you like to go today?"

Despite his words, Raven's expression remained ingrained, the same blank face that a true warrior had to bear. Knowing how this cycle worked, he'd have to crack a smile sooner or later, most likely.

"How about the Hope Bridge? It is an essential area to cross before reaching the palace, and it's quite close by. I don't want to part too far away from my home yet. It's perfect, since there will be a lovely view we could both gaze at undisturbed, you see!" I suggested, averting myself towards him once again as I let go of his neck, the frown promptly turning into a grin.

The knight bowed on one knee to peck a kiss on my hand. "I don't see why not. Shall we leave now?"

"Yes, yes! The sooner the better." I responded.

...

It wasn't long before we were both situated behind the railings of the beautifully built bridge. The marble-like stone that was used to create the decorations was exquisitely crafted from the best of stonemasons, it would seem. Personally, it was my first time visiting the locality for 'leisure' purposes. It would've been a shame if something happened to this fine work of art, otherwise known as the Bridge of Hope.

My speculation from earlier was correct. Since this was more of an area for the royalty, and anybody affiliated with them, it was pretty much empty. A passage this large could be displayed for all to enjoy, but I suppose not, with the true Queen's greed.

Down below us stood a calm sea, its waves swaying to and fro gracefully. The salty ocean air provided a new sensation to experience, it wasn't so bad. What embellished the body of water were nothing more than bright blue skies, various birds chirping as they flew by.

"This place is nice, isn't it, Raven?"

He nodded.

"Say... what are your desires?"

I was perfectly aware that it was an odd conversation starter, but I had to be quick with this. I had to figure out what kind of person he was. Did Raven approve of Seris' actions? Or was he secretly against it, just like Aisha and I? A new ally, or a new foe?

If this was truly dubbed as the Hope Bridge, then I was hoping that he would become a new comrade. Either outcome, however, was acceptable.

...

---[CHAPTER 5 - THE DATE : END]---