Chapter 9 - Berserker

...

I took a moment to contemplate all the choices I have made up until this point. How was I going to explain to Elesis that I wasn't Queen Seris without letting the other guards know? They were relatively far off, so it was impossible to eavesdrop unless they were headed this way. Another threat: security cameras. I was still unaware if there were any around, which was unfortunate.

There was no time to waste. I was going to risk it.

"Elesis Sieghart. I have something to tell you." I slowly started to speak, confidence building up. An assassin couldn't be afraid.

The knight opened her other eye, narrowing both of them at me. Icy cold in every aspect, she wasn't one you'd want to mess with.

"Do you honestly think that I'd listen to the likes of you?! You horrid beast!" she snapped, rushing forwards, but only to be held back by the handcuffs clutching onto her wrists.

I gently peeled off the tape infused with magic from the side of my neck, my voice reverting to its regular pitch. I lowered my volume so that it was barely audible, however, just enough for Elesis to hear. Nobody else had to know about this yet, of course.

"I am not Queen Seris. I am merely an assassin out to overthrow this wretched kingdom, so its peace and harmony can return. I need your help; will you join my forces?"

She quietly scoffed, a small smirk curving on her face. "Haha... hahahaha! How interesting! Do you think... I'll believe your words so easily? Prove yourself to me, assassin."

"My name is Rena. If you decide to aid my team in this quest, I will bail you out of this prison. You don't have any other option available, so you mustn't ponder, am I correct?"

"Tch. 'Overthrow this wretched kingdom', huh? I guess I have no choice. Betrayed by my remaining allies, it was inevitable that this government will perish sooner or later, all because of Seris." Elesis began to laugh, as it grew louder and louder, only to gradually fade. "I will accept you offer. They shouldn't have messed with me..."

I kindly smiled, attempting to ignore her insanity. One lunatic down, one more to go. Since the deal was done, I slapped on the piece of tape once more, for it to transform into Seris' higher sound again.

...

After heading back to the guards, I convinced them to release Elesis after a long while of debating, arguing, and negotiation. Despite being their ruler, these knights were awfully stubborn.

Before I left the bottom floor, Elesis grabbed onto my shoulder softly, whispering into my ear.

"Tell me when the action takes place."

Completely startled, I simply gave her a slight nod.

As usual, the berserker was icy. Elesis seemed to only utilize two general emotions: lethargy and wrath, it was always tilting from one end to another; hot and cold.

...

I thought it would've been a wise idea to check inside Seris' bedroom prior to visiting Add, just in case. I wanted to see if everything remained unchanged.

...

---[CHAPTER 9 - BERSERKER : END]---