Chapter 7 - Reflection

[Rena's Point of View]

...

The next day, back in the castle, I sat cross-legged on my feminine, rose-pink bed embellished with frilly layered sheets and such. Or rather, it was Seris' bed. The previous afternoon, I determined that Raven was a 'good' person. He was not aware of the real Queen's actions, nor did he show any hints of greed, envy, and other sin-like thoughts. Unless it was merely all an act, similar to Queen Seris, however, it was highly unlikely. My own facade was already quite believable, was it not? Then it'd only make sense that he'd reveal his true colours when faced with none other than the Queen, if he knew about her selfishness.

Speculations, hypotheses, thoughts. My intuition could be incorrect. There was no guarantee what was in store for me.

I had to think this through thoroughly after that one date. A small mistake could ruin my disguise here. Ah, now what if I was executed? The idea was... well, interesting. A professional assassin would never go down so easily.

There was no choice but to trust Raven for the time being. The hope that he would soon be on our side stood strong.

On another note, another emotion lingered within my heart, apart from the striving feeling to achieve victory; to stop this kingdom and its wrongdoings. The meetup with the mercenary was quite... enjoyable? Was that the word to describe it? I was looking forward to more 'dates' with him.

No way.

An assassin like me? Falling in love? Ha! Of course not! Perhaps if I was still my younger self, when I could still experience genuine happiness as a youthful maiden. Those chances flew out the window once I became a bravo, working in this industry of murder.

The previous Rena from years and years and years ago; much different from the present me.

...

Precognition soon transpired when a neatly-folded piece of paper fell from above, just like when Aisha had written to me. Perhaps it was from the mage again? I was curious about the note and how the progress between the witch and Seris was going.

Again, as it slowly landed on my lap, I gave it a read. Carefully this time, to avoid the self-destruction of the first occurrence.

...

Dearest Rena,

Guess who! Miss me already? I'm sure you do! From what I've seen, I'm sure you had a wonderful time, toying around with Raven! Unfortunately, I have another task for you, in addition to investigating the knight. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of opportunities to bond with him afterwards!

After you finish with this message, a package of files will be magically delivered to you. I did some more research, since Seris was refusing to speak. I don't see a reason why she would give me the silent treatment, though! Playing hard to get, tsk tsk. I couldn't get much out of her, but that's fine. She'll just have fun in the cell imbued with my powers, unable to escape. All she can do is whine!

Anyways, back to the main point. I discovered two people within the stronghold that are against Seris, I'm sure! 100%! Velder's Berserker and Velder's Mechanic. Read the attachments that follow for more information, to win them over to us! We're going to need more than just the two of us to overthrow this place.

I hope you're doing well, by the way! You probably are, judging from my observations.

Sincerely,

Mysterious Mage.

P.S. It should be obvious now, but this wall of text will now explode. Thank you, ehehe!

...

Indeed, after the disappearance of the letter, more came along; the profiles of these two possible allies. I was eager to befriend them immediately.

But what she had mentioned in the beginning... it wasn't true! I was only hanging around Raven due to the quest, and nothing more!

Promptly, the other packages from Aisha arrived...

...

---[CHAPTER 7 - REFLECTION : END]---