Chapter 11 - Accidental Affection

...

Raven, standing ever so sternly by the doorway. His facial expression shifted into a bad-tempered one, his eyes narrowing and his mouth arching into an unpleasing frown.

At that moment, it was clear and obvious that I had been found out. Eavesdropping wasn't very polite.

...Neither was breaking into the royal stronghold, only to put up a disguise, taking the Queen's place. I was at fault, for not being careful enough.

I wasn't expecting the unexpected, though it already occurred a mere few seconds ago.

"Tch. Who said that you could just break into my lab without the decency to knock? What an impolite 'superior' you are." Add rolled his eyes.

"I apologize, but I have every single right to. Utter another word of resistance and I'll group you together with her. The impostor of Queen Seris!" he scowled, pointing towards my general direction.

"W--"

Before I could address to my defense, Raven had gotten a hold of me, quite tightly at that. The side of his blade was pressed up against my neck, Aisha's magical tape crumbling into dust. Once again, my voice was reverted.

"Tell me. What have you done to Seris?!"

Calm and devoid of emotion, I responded, not minding the weapon that could have decapitated me any second. "What I've done? Nothing. An accomplice of mine simply took her in for an interrogation session. Questioning her trails of thought, questioning what good it'd bring to corrupt a kingdom. You're still unaware about how terrible Velder has become because of your so-called 'Queen'?"

He lightly ran the blade across the side of my neck, just enough for a small opening to form, warm blood trickling down, the red gash slowly oozing.

"Don't say such things... about her!"

"Even if it's the truth?" I countered without hesitation, despite my fresh wound.

The rage of Raven continued to ignite, unable to cease. "How so?!"

"The higher classes most likely wouldn't have noticed, but, civilians apart of the lower ends of the spectrum definitely have. Seris has been treating them poorly, without equality. They're too afraid to speak up for themselves; afraid of the consequences. To them, Seris is a scary figure."

Ignoring my statements, he kept shouting commands. "Release her at once!"

"I will. Mysterious Mage, you're watching, aren't you? Get it over with. Surely, you're done by now." I attempted to call out to Aisha, without actually revealing her identity.

...

With a gust of wind, a wave of sparkles glittered in the air. The true Seris appeared, unharmed, but pissed off. She was having a fit, probably unaware that Raven himself was already present to witness her real disposition.

"Ugh! That filthy mage! How dare she! Confining me into that gross cell of torture... Huh? R-Raven?! Um... ah..." her voice trailed off nervously, still trying to feign innocence at this point.

He removed his blade, placing it back by his side. "Seris..."

"H-Her..!" she pointed at me, similar to how Raven had done so earlier. "P-Please arrest her!"

The mercenary pondered for a long while.

"R-Raven? Wh-Why aren't you doing anything...?"

"You, whatever your name is. Leave this instant, and never come back. Understand? I never want to see the sight of your face ever again, no matter how similar it is to the Queen's. I'll never forgive you for tricking me into that date."

Forcing a smile, I did as he asked, running out of the castle in a hurried manner. Aisha's magic did its trick once more, even my clothes were changing back to normal, and the makeup was vanishing. I headed straight to Aisha's residence.

...

What was this?

Somehow, Raven's last sentence struck a twinge. It was an uncomfortable feeling.

I couldn't feel the pain.

I was unable to experience the physical pain, although the cut he made was beginning to sting. The blood had dried up; it wasn't a bother. But there was still a sense of anguish.

Emotional anguish.

Why?

Because of the accidental affection I'd gotten myself into.

...

---[CHAPTER 11 - ACCIDENTAL AFFECTION : END]---