Chapter 11

Jacob Light

I ran and kept running.

I ran from one forest to the other.

I had no idea where I was and to be honest, I didn't care. I just had to be alone. I had to clear my mind. My parents expected an answer by tomorrow. Who I would be with for the rest of my life.

I had told them that I needed some time and had walked outside. I had walked around there like a zombie for a while before deciding that a run would be for the best. I was glad to let Dan loose again, it had been a while and I felt some of the stress go away. I threw my head into my neck and howled. I continued running, but made sure not to walk into another territory. I had to be careful not to walk into Alpha Jeffrey's territory. That would cause an even bigger conflict. Not that it could get much worse, since there was already a Pack war scheduled on both Alpha Jeffrey's and Alpha James' agendas.

I slowed my pace and took in my surroundings. It wasn't anything special, just trees and leaves.

But that changed when I heard something. I listened more closely.

A laugh. A laugh so genuine.

So clear, so honest.

So innocent.

Dan was starting to get restless and I didn't understand why. I sniffed the air and caught the most amazing scent.

A delicious, beautiful, sweet and alluring scent.

I automatically started running towards it; I didn't care what territory I was on.

That scent could only mean one thing.

-

Nova Rijn

I closed my eyes and kept listening to the calm sounds of the forest: the water streaming, the birds happily chirping and the rustling of the leaves.

I heard Puck's constant and calm heartbeat. It was reassuring and familiar.

I know, I know; everything about Puck was just that: familiar.

No matter how crazy or cliché it sounded, it was the truth. I felt like I had known Puck for my entire life. He felt like a brother, but also not.

He was a sweet, handsome, caring and cute best friend. Someone I could always count on. Someone I could trust.

I just knew that Puck would always be there for me, no matter what. I hoped he knew that I would always be there for him, too. That he could trust me. Even though we'd only known each other for two days.

"Puck?" I softly whisper to him without opening my eyes.

"Hmmm?"

"You know I'm always there for you, right? That you can tell me anything?" I mumbled almost unintelligibly. But somehow Puck managed to hear me.

"Thanks, Nova." He softly said.

I opened my eyes and looked at Puck. He looked so peaceful and calm. His hair was a little messy and it only made him seem more attractive.

I sat up straight and quickly gave him a kiss on his cheek. I smiled at him and he slightly blushed.

"Nova?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

After he said that, he placed an arm around me and pulled me against him. A smile appeared on my face: this was how it was supposed to be.

-

Puck van den Bosch

Nova started laughing and her laugh was infectious. It didn't take long before we were both laughing uncontrollably. But I stopped laughing when I smelled an unfamiliar scent. A wolf, maybe more. Nova had to leave, fast. It could be a rogue, or worse: multiple rogues. She wouldn't be safe. I knew how rogues were, and they were heartless.

Even though Nova was human, they would still tear her to pieces. They didn't care.

"Nova, we have to leave. Now!" I almost shouted and Nova immediately stopped laughing. She looked at me with concern and confusion.

"What's wrong?"

I could hear the slight panic in her voice.

"I can't tell you. Sorry, but grab your bag and let's go! Quick!"

I grabbed her by the arm and started running. Nova followed me with a confused expression. I started running faster and Nova had a hard time keeping up with me. But we had to get out of this forest as quickly as possible.

A ferocious growl echoed through the forest and Nova froze.

"W-what was that?" she stuttered and looked at me with fear in her eyes. I didn't answer but looked around. How far until we reached the edge of the forest? My hopes for a swift escape vanished when I heard another loud growl. I sniffed the air and smelled that the wolf wasn't far.

It would be at least another fifteen minutes before we reached the edge, in human form. The only chance of escape the rogues was to turn and carry Nova on my back. But the risk to scare Nova so much and make her go into shock was too big. I wouldn't only lose her as a friend; I'd also have the risk of losing her forever. What if she panicked and ran away?

"Nova, something is after us and there's only one solution-" I started running again and pulled her with me.

She looked at me with questioning eyes and was about to say something, but a loud growl cut her off. Not twenty meters away from us stood the source of the growling.

"Nova, trust me and do as I say! Understood?"