Secrets and lies

Bruce groaned as he opened his eyes... Where was he? Then he recognized the sound of beeps and whirrs. He was in the Watchtower's medbay. His head hurt yet he had no idea what happened... All he remembered was the fact that he was about to berate Diana about merging work life and personal life then everything went black.

"Hey big guy..." He heard Clark mumble.

Bruce scowled. "Don't EVER call me that again."

"Sure thing Bruce." He smiled. "How are you feeling?"

"Like a train ran over my skull... What happened? And why are my ribs bandaged and taped?" He asked as he tried to sit up.

Clark pushed him back down gently. "An explosion. Looks like the work of Luthor's goons. A metal scrap flew out and stabbed you in the back, you were bleeding out all over. It snapped one of your ribs, I was able to stop the bleeding and Diana got you here."

"Ah." Bruce muttered. "Thank you. If you don't mind I'd like to sleep now. I also don't want company for when I wake. The only face I like seeing when I first wake up is Alfred and he is in Gotham."

"Sure thing Bruce." Clark smiled at his friend. At least he wasn't arguing about how long he'd have to lie there before his ribs healed. Diana ran up to him as he left the med bay.

"How is he Clark?"

The man of steel sighed. "He'll be fine. Don't worry about him Diana."

She pouted as he walked away. Well after her recent revelation that wasn't going to be possible. She was going to worry endlessly. She had fallen head over heels for the man that refused to love... Or be loved. "Athena give me wisdom." She muttered as she peeked into the med bay room where he was falling asleep to the sounds of the monitors. "Give me strength, Hera."

A few hours later Bruce woke up to the sound of the med robots bustling around. He opened his eyes to hear the voice of Clark talking to someone... Oliver from the sound of it. He slowly sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed, a pain shooting through his side. He ignored the throbbing and stood gingerly. Luckily he had a high pain tolerance or he would've passed out then and there. He moved to the doorway and groaned. The whole team was there. "What's going on?" He asked, his voice still a little hoarse.

"Bruce. You're supposed to be laying down." Clark chastised.

Bruce waved him off. "I'll say it again since apparently no one heard me. What is going on?"

Hal Jordan, AKA the Green Lantern, was the one who decided to tell him. "It was Luthor who caused the explosion. We tracked him down but it's an unusual spot for him."

"Where?" He asked as he brushed off Clark's guiding hand which was trying to get him back into bed. "Clark I'm fine. I've fought with a punctured lung before, a busted rib isn't gonna slow me down."

Diana fought the urge to force him into bed so he could heal. "But you're no good to us if you hurt yourself further because you refused to let this injury heal in the proper way."

He growled at her. "That is my perogative thank you. Now where did you track Luthor to?"

Hal huffed. "We tracked him to right outside of Gotham."

Bruce closed his eyes. This was bad news. "Alright. Well I'm going home. If he's in my home then I should be there to protect it. Not to mention Alfred is the only I let take care of me."

Clark made a face. "Just promise me that you won't go after him yourself."

"Fine." He huffed.

Diana sighed. Bruce always kept his promises. At least he'd be careful. She moved away to the communications room. She punched in the code to contact her home world. Her sister should answer.

"Diana!" A younger version of herself appeared on screen. "How are you?"

"I'm alright Dona. I'm conflicted with myself." She whispered. The last thing she needed was one of the JLA hearing her confessing she was in love. "I believe that I've fallen in love with a mortal man."

Her sister suppressed a squeal. "Lucky you! Mother has been hinting at that."

She smiled. Her mother always knew what was going on with her before she herself knew. "Well Dona. I just needed to see you. I have to go now. I'll talk to you soon."

"Goodbye sister."

Bruce saw Diana come out of the communications room looking a little sad. What was up with her? He shook his head and moved towards the portal to take him back to Earth. He needed to get home. About three hours later he was pulling to his house. But he saw a dark haired woman fly away from the front door where Alfred stood. "Alfred?! Who was that?!" He told the JLA to stay away. If Diana had come here and broke his trust there'd be hell to pay.

"Who was who Master Bruce?" Alfred asked innocently.

"The woman who just flew away.... Tall dark hair... Probably Amazonian? Ring a bell?" He asked getting angrier as he thought about it.

Alfred chuckled. "Why master Bruce! I do believe your eyes were playing tricks on you. I guess it's true that our minds can make what we truely desire appear in front of us!"

"Alfred..." He warned. Alfred had been hinting that he had feelings for Diana for a while now. "We are not having this discussion again. Where's Richard?"

"Master Grayson has gone out again." He informed causing Bruce to growl.

"I'm gonna kill him if he keeps this up."

Alfred shrugged. "Have you told them yet? About him? About Barbara?"

"No. I won't tell them unless I have to." He mumbled. Secrets were his life. No one needed know what was going on with the team of bats. No one at all.