A Price to Pay

Bruce was ready to double over, to spill the contents of his lunch somewhere even if he hadn't been able to eat all day... he had just given in to blackmail... By his own secretary! Obviously she was fired but he couldn't risk her running the story so he gave in to her demands the night she made the terms... he looked at himself in the reflection of his car window. He was a disgrace... He did it to protect Diana and Luna yet he felt like they wouldn't see it that way... "Well I guess the biggest screw up of the year award belongs to me." He sighed. He knew this marriage thing would come back to haunt him... The worst part was that Veronica had refused to use any protection of any sort... If she got pregnant? What would her demands be then?

He drove back to his home and went straight to the cave. He needed a reason, other than blackmail, to take her down and lock her up. He sat in his chair and began to research when a pair of hands drug over his chest. "You came home late today... you only have an hour before patrol." Diana hummed kissing his head.

"Uh... had a lot to do at the office." He mumbled.

"Okay." She rubbed his shoulders for a moment. "Come upstairs when you get a moment, Alfred and I taught Luna something you'll want to see."

He smiled briefly before following her upstairs. His baby girl was currently doing a miniature (and clumsy) waltz with his butler. He didn't know what he would do when Diana found out about V and the blackmail... he couldn't bear to lose this. His daughter... his wife... coming home to a warm bed every night and a beautiful wife in it... his little girl wanting him to hold her so much every time he came in the door... he didn't know if his heart could handle losing them... But he couldn't lie to her. "Diana? Come back to the cave please."

She followed him down. "What's wrong Bruce?"

He handed over the envelope V had given him. The photo and article still inside.

"Bruce... who took this?! Who is Veronica Vixen?!" She asked looking up in anger and fear... fear for her family's privacy...

"She was my secretary... but... I... took care of it. I gave her what she wanted. But I regret it. And I don't want to go on with a lie between us." He bit his lip as he thought of how to word the news.

Diana looked at his face. "What did she want Bruce? Not money... She lost her job... Did she want," she trailed off as she realized. "Bruce did she want you?" She was ready to cry. Her husband had an affair trying to protect his family.

He nodded curtly. He couldn't look at her. He was preparing for a slap or yelling and her saying that they were done... but it never came. He didn't even realize he was trembling slightly until he felt her hand on his arm.

"Bruce... you slept with her? To try and protect us?"

"Yes... I did. I couldn't risk her running the story. Luna won't be in preschool for another two years at least... I don't want her forced into the limelight yet... So I did what she wanted..." He was steeling himself for it now... He just knew she was gonna hit him. But instead she kissed him gently.

"It's okay... we'll... We'll figure it out. We'll get through it okay? But if something like this happens again? You tell me before you make a choice. Okay?" She asked with a smile. She was hurt, that was obvious. But she loved him and knew he was trying to protect them. "I love you Bruce Wayne. I'm not gonna let some blackmail get between us."

"Thank you Diana," he smiled kissing her back. "I don't think I could stand it if you left me."

"You're welcome Bruce. I love you."

"I love you too."

___

No one heard from Veronica again for months... Diana had nearly forgotten the even until one day when she was just out walking around Gotham and felt someone try to stab her. Only special metals could penetrate her skin... she turned around and was met by wild blue eyes filled with rage. Blonde hair in the process of matting sticking out like she had been shocked by electricity... a stomach bloated with obvious signs of pregnancy. "You b***!" The blonde cried. "He was supposed to belong to me!" She raised the pocket knife again to try and stab her, only to have Diana simply snatch the blade away.

"Who are you?" She asked unamused and not sure what this crazy lady was talking about.

The woman snarled, her teeth bared, drool dripping down her dirty chin. "You can call me V." Diana didn't know who she was but simply walked away, the woman screaming threats in her wake... "you haven't heard the last of me Diana Prince!"

That night she waited for Bruce to get home. "Babe... do you know a V? Crazy lady, blue eyed blonde?"

"Well hello to you too." He snarked. "And yes. She was my secretary... the one who blackmailed me."

"Oh..." she trailed off remembering the pregnant stomach. "Bruce she's pregnant. A few months from the look of her."

"WHAT?!" He cried. "You saw her? She's pregnant?"

She nodded. "I'm sorry Bruce. She tried to attack me,"

"SHE WHAT?!"

"She tried to stab me. Said it wouldn't be the last time I heard from her... that you were supposed to be hers... she was crazy Bruce... like legitimately crazy."

He hung his head. "I'll catch her and put her in Arkham. Where she belongs."

"But Bruce what about the baby?" She asked softly.

He looked away. "They'll terminate the pregnancy in Arkham."

"Oh..." she looked away. "We'll be okay Bruce. We'll be okay."

He looked up. "Every choice has a consequence. There's always a price to pay. And the bill ALWAYS comes due. It's just my time to pay."

AN:

Okay I know this chapter is crap but I really need to cover some stuff so you all aren't lost in the next chapter... thanks!