Chapter: Seventeen

Cassius' P.O.V

My eyes fall onto Pierce's back and, slowly, they begin to make their way down to the very ankles of his feet. I check for any scars or wounds, but they would be gone by now... I left no room for that since he arrived back.

He turns and looks at me and I give him a small smile.

"What is it?"

"You're gorgeous."

"And...that's the problem?"

"It's very much the problem," I tuck in my bottom lip as he moves a little closer to me.

"You know, I swear you must have had other lovers before me, the way you speak to me."

That causes me to laugh before eyeing him more closely.

"Would that make you jealous?"

"Cassius," he growls which does nothing but send a small shudder through me.

Somehow, I must keep my hands off of him. I keep saying that to myself, but I can't. He is here right in front of me, breathing the same air as me, and I was without that for so long. My wolf is much more antsier than most times. These days it's hard to differentiate her desires from mine, simply because we desire the same, one thing.

"I like toying with you." I go on and wrap my arms around his neck while letting a little of my breath slip into his ear.

"I can see that."

"But you should know I desire no one but you." My lips press onto his neck causing his muscles to tense at the swarm of sparks now invading his body.

"Then why is it that..." he pauses.

"That I will not see you outside of these rooms?" His eyes look for mine before falling away from me. Whatever it is, he should never have doubts for my feelings for him. I know someone must have put seedling thoughts in his mind and they have spread. Ah, no worries. I can put him at ease, permanently.

"You know what had happened the last time, and I cannot risk that happening again. Ever again. You must understand that our packs can tolerate one another, but it does not mean we want anything to do with the other.

"Why is it that you haven't marked me?"

My mouth opens before closing and a slow blush starts to consume my face. "Because I..."

"Forgo the ceremony, and have me as yours."

"There are things...you should know about me...first..." I mumble.

"I know all there is to know of you." He turns around and leans down against me. "Do you doubt me?"

I look at him before nibbling at my lip. Now is not the best time to be talking of this, but he wants to know...and I have to tell him. What better time than the present?

"I share the blood of all the past Alphas of the North. Since the first, and there are reasons for that. Special reasons. Our lineage has gone on for so long...because it can sense when there is not enough and it finds a way for our bloodline to carry on..."

He looks at me with green eyes and parted lips. For a moment, I just wanted to stop and press my lips against his, but I manage to continue.

"You see, there is reason as to why, my brother, Aemillius was meant for the throne and not me..." I pause checking for any changes to his facial expression, but there is none. "Everyone knew my mate would be male."

"And you need an heir..." he finishes off as I nod my head.

"At twenty-one years of age they expect for me, as king, to be wed and... quickly trying to produce an heir... and many believe I cannot have that with you."