Chapter 3: Going to Etherea

We settled into a routine, over the next few weeks. Cassy even came to class and almost every guy fell at her feet, her preternatural beauty was a bit too much for them to bear. It was her eyes that usually got them, large pools of sapphire, sparkling constantly with mischief. I could have been jealous, but the same boys had fawned over me until she got here and it was a relief to be left alone. However, my female classmates were of a completely different opinion.

All too soon, we had to pack to go to my mother's realm. Hecate had visited Ian a few times since the day he found out about her, and they seemed to like each other. They would usually come to my tower for privacy, and it pained me to leave them alone while I destroyed various punching bags and training dummies in the gym.

He was looking forward to seeing her at the festival. But I could tell he was apprehensive about meeting his father in person, telling him about Tristan felt like a mistake. Though it could not be helped, what had been done could not be changed, a lesson soon learnt by those of us who were gifted with extremely long lives.

We left Blacktower three days before the harvest moon, and I insisted on driving my Ferrari to the gates of Etherea, much to Ian's glee, Cassy was not overly joyed at driving in a car, most fey were like that. After a few hours, we reached the place where we would have to leave my car and go on foot. We stepped out and about a dozen guards materialized out of the trees, dressed in their customary autumn uniforms. Ian gasped, but Cassy and I just went to the boot and got the bags out for them to carry. We were soon on our way, with Ian being unable to hold his head still. The forest, admittedly, was very beautiful. But it was nothing compared to Etherea.

Creatures did not still as we passed, they can sense that we aren't human, so they leave us alone. The fey have made sure of the animals' indifference; it pains them to harm any natural setting and those surviving in it, being creatures of the earth themselves.

We stepped into the final clearing and the guards formed a ring around the gate. I stepped through their ranks and held my hand against the wall of stone. I whispered the incantation and the wall began to glow, my favourite part about going to Etherea was opening the gate. Even if I didn't want to be in the realm itself, having the power to access it whenever I want always makes me warm inside.

I then walked back to stand with Ian and took his hand. "Trust me" I say and pull him through. His eyes open wide as he takes in the sight of the landscape and the various fey. The elder ones look away quickly, but the younger ones stare long after we pass. The autumnal colours light up my mother's realm and bathe it in a warm glow, I am almost glad to be back, save for the meeting that may or may not decide that Ian will die.

We walk all the way to the blinding white castle that is my mother's. The doors open and more guards pour out to form lines for us to walk through. On the top of the wide steps stands my mother. Her dark hair shining and her eyes crinkled with mirth. Next to her are Vladimir and Wilhelm, the first Vampire and the first Shifter. The other Originals must still be on their way, I think, just as Hecate floats through the doors, her eyes only on Ian.

We reach them and Hecate hugs her son. I bow formally to my mother. "Morgana." Trying and failing to keep myself from rolling my eyes while I straighten up, I back away from her, nearly tumbling off the steps.

"Scarlet" and she pulls me into a hug. I stiffen, intimacy in public was not something my mother subscribed to, nor did her people. She pokes me and I relax, hoping that she'll let go sometime soon. Vladimir coughs and I push her away to hug him and then his brother.

Mother coughs politely and we all head into the castle.  I fall into step with Vladimir and he regales stories of his offspring to me. I smile and make all the right noises at all the right moments. We soon reach the great hall, where a table and twelve chairs stand to the left of Morgana's throne. We take our seats and Ian sits next to his mother. I am at the far end, across from Morgana, and as far from her as I can get. Vladimir and Wilhelm start up a conversation about various trivial matters while I stare out the windows. Ian and Hecate are whispering about something and one of her many fey, probably the one planning everything for Samhain, is occupying Morgana. Eventually I sigh and get up, "Mother, I'm exhausted, can you please have someone show me to my rooms?"