Bonus Chapter

A/N: So, I've been away for a while, mainly due to personal issues, but I feel like adding to the universe (and books) that I've already created.

I haven't decided exactly who I'm going to write about next, but I'm tempted to do the origin stories for the Originals and their kingdoms. What do you guys think?

Here's a small snippet of what I've got, let me know if you think I should continue...

***

When the universe began, the stars exploded into life. Their celestial dance began with the two siblings, Melinoe and Melchior. Who spun about, igniting their fellows as they gracefully stepped through time and space, to a tune only the stars know.

For a time, this was enough for the stars, who sparked the galaxies that created the billions of stars systems, all spinning in their own dances. They needed no sustenance beyond the light they created, and did as they pleased.

But their contentment was not to last, for with creation comes evolution, and with evolution come foreign feelings the stars did not understand. Some knew sorrow, and collapsed upon themselves. Some knew jealousy, and grew too large to move. And some knew love... and all that comes from what is unrequited.

Melinoe was loved by many, much to the jealousy of her brother. For she was formed first, and burned the brightest out of all. His light was almost as bright, but always faltered in comparison. His love for his sister quickly became overshadowed by her admirers, and he began to plot for her death. For when the stars began, so did their greatest weakness... the eternal darkness.

He left her company, the bitterness dulling his light and making him weak. And so, he crafted from it a blade, with much injury to himself. His light was fading, and he had to act quickly, for she was growing stronger by the day, and her vanity could still be exploited.

Finally, the weapon was complete, and he returned to his sister, asking her for a dance as always. She accepted, though puzzled, and soon she knew why he had returned. He thrust the blade into her breast and threw her down, laughing as she fell to the planet beneath them.

As she fell, she watched her brother fade to darkness, reaching toward him one last time before her body connected with the earth in a valley filled with flowers, many of them crushed beneath her now heavy form. As she laying dying, she felt her light seep into the earth, filling it with her power. With her final breath, she whispered "Live, and be free of darkness... bring forth the light in all."

The first of the flowers glowed, signalling the rest to begin, though duller in comparison; and Melinoe smiled at her creations once more, before he eyes closed for eternity. Or so her progenies thought.

The last of her form crumbled to dust, scattering in the wind as the sun rose anew. The last of the light touching a single wolf, a bat, and a spirit of the elements that had been nearby; invigorating all with a new life.

For many days, the flowers continued to glow as the First Star's light passed through the earth, awakening all kinds of changes within a planet that had been of no consequence before. The spirit remained, observing the valley with a sombre air that made it less sentient than its fellows. For many, it was a burst of power to free them, for him, it was a curse only he could understand.

He watched carefully as the flowers continued to bloom, even the trees touched by the star began to change. He watched as the first grew stronger, larger, and more beautiful than the others, and he was fascinated. For days, he nurtured it, cared for it, until one day...

He could see its light disappearing from the petals, and frantically tried to help the flower, but to no avail. The flower's light faltered, and went out, causing a rage within the spirit, until he saw it rise and form a shape, a strange creature he'd never seen before. She, and he sensed it was female, like the creatures who wandered the earth in his wake, was the most beautiful thing he had ever laid eyes upon.

With a single searching look upon her, he mimicked her transformation, turning solid for the first time in wonderment.

For what felt like aeons, they studied one another, the pale glow of her flesh reminding him of the flower petals she once had. She gasped at the golden glow of his skin, her hands reaching and dropping each time she fought her urges. The beginning of a lifetime of resistance for her most basic impulses to be sure.

The darkness of her hair, the paleness of her skin, it was all a strange phenomenon for him, the oldest of the spirits, unremarkable for the stars watching him. They knew that something had begun, but as was their want, they turned their attentions back to the heavens, and paid no more heed to these creatures, for they would mourn their Queen, their Melinoe.