Epilogue: New Beginnings

I hate goodbyes.

I hate walking away from things that once meant a lot to me.

But now, it's time for me to move on. I don't have to like it, I just need to.

I need to start the life I've always dreamed of with the boy I could never have imagined. There is nothing more that can be done.

In a way, I finally feel as if my life has gained some closure, if only in my past with Tristan. And even though my adoptive siblings are married and on the fast track to having children, I'd like to imagine that they will be happy with their soul mates.

Leaving Cassy and Declan after the wedding has been one of the most difficult things I've ever had to go through, which is saying a lot when I think about all things I've actually done to myself and others on a regular basis.

Watching them both smile, arms around their respective spouses almost made me want to cry. Coincidentally, Ian was gripping my hand for dear life, pulling me away slowly as I tried to keep my oldest companions in sight for as long as I could on our walk to the southern gate of Etherea.

Having used it only a few times before, I couldn't really remember where it was. This is probably why Morgana sent a guide sprite with us to make sure we didn't get lost. Or possibly to keep us from doing inappropriate things around the defenceless young fey of the forest.

And I had so dearly hoped we could have a few moments of inappropriate behaviour, oh well. It will have to wait for another day.

Upon reaching the boundaries of my mother's realm, I'd opened the gate and pushed him through, leaving the sprite on the right side before closing it. A different set of guards had led us to the customary outer clearing of a vastly different forest, where I summoned Ian's favourite birthday present.

The bright red Ferrari glowed in the morning sun as the guards packed our luggage into it, avoiding contact with the actual car as much as possible. When they had finished and disappeared into the treeline once more, Ian opened the passenger door for me and waited until I got in before closing it.

He climbed in a few seconds later, and revved the engine for effect as he pulled into the road. I will never forget the expression of pure, unadulterated joy on his face as we speed down winding roads between farms and small villages.

We make it to France a few hours later, pulling into the drive of my chateau just outside Paris just as the noonday sun reached its zenith. Getting out of the car, I run my hand through my hair, trying not to groan at the stiffness of my limbs from sitting down for so long.

As we walk to the front door, Ian takes my hand in his own and gently squeezes it. As I looked into his eyes, I couldn't help but smile at him warmly before wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him close to kiss me.

When we come up for air again, I let go and walk ahead of him, waving my hand to force the windows open and the curtains to move away. Pushing the heavy door open, I turn to look at him, and laugh at his look of complete wonder.

"Hurry up! There are four hundred more rooms for you to ogle at," I shout at him, and laugh again. His eyes meet mine and he runs at me, crashing into me as we both fall to the floor. "You know, I'm sure you won't manage to kill me, your father may just change his mind."

"I doubt it, you killed his favourite son again," he mumbles against my neck. Sighing, I push him off me and sit up, trying to quell the bile rising in my throat. Ian wraps his arms around me from behind, probably to try and comfort me, but I just feel like I'm being strangled.

"I not the one he needs to blame for his son's fate, it was his fault Tristan turned out that way, I just defended myself," I say, closing my eyes when I feel the tears building. Ian sits heavily behind me, and moves his arms to my waist, forcing me to turn around so that he's basically cradling me.