Chapter 1: Screw-ups and Other Problems

Walking through the deserted warehouse, I open my palm, and summon a plain ball of white energy to light my way. Stepping carefully over the small pile of rubble, I make my way further and further down the main walk way, grimacing as I scratch my boot tip on some glass.

A perfectly good pair of combat boots now nearly irreparable, even in my own head I sound like a grouchy old woman complaining about shoes. Where is this idiot? I have better things to do than deal with a deranged Lower Council member currently holding a death-wish.

"Councilman Aldrich", I call out," I need to speak with you." Preferably before you decide to do something stupid, like that, I think as he steps out of the shadows.

"Scarlet, a pleasure I presume", he says, pointing a gun at my chest, his bland features just serving to irritate me further. He seems a tad dull for a minion of Hades, then again, the man invented narcissism, having plain minions suited his motives perfectly.

"Don't be stupid", I snort and knock it out of his hands. "We both know my curse forbids my death." My disdain for him must show, because his face hardens with malice. For some reason, he reminds me of his boss with that expression, and I have to stifle my small chuckle before it provokes him.

"Are you sure?" he smirks at me. "Has anyone tried recently?" Sighing, I cross my arms and resign myself for the scene many have run through before him. People never learn, especially dark mages, they were just the poster children for idiocy.

"This century? No, though I assume you're going to", I say walking away. It's not long before a shot sounds and a bullet wedges itself in my heart. Rage builds in the pit of my stomach and I turn to face him, energy forming in my hands.

The council had better have a replacement for him, because I'm sure as the galaxies above am not going to forgive him for ruining my favourite jacket as well as my shoes. The moron starts shouting profanities instead of running away, making my targeting all the simpler as I aim blue orbs of freezing flames at him in rapid succession. Oh to be young and idiotic, I think ruefully as his screams of pain echo off the walls.

***

If ever, this was probably the worst day of my very, very long existence.  Kill one little 'elder' and suddenly I'm the new number one most hated person in the magical dimension. I cross my arms and roll my eyes while the other four council members continue to lecture me. Sinking into my chair, I await the 'slap on the wrist' I usually get.

"...your punishment will be to attend high school, again", says Amelda. Her cherubic features are ruined by the frown on her face, and her long brown hair seems lank, unusual for such a powerful mage. She must be really torn up about Aldrich...not that it's my problem.

My head whips up. "You have got to be kidding me." I can just feel Sapphira's self-satisfied smirk as Amelda sits back down.  It's bad enough I have to babysit this lot on a regular basis, now I have to deal with a bunch of teenagers? Fate is a cruel, heartless little demon.

"No, we are not. You obviously cannot recall the laws and regulations of our society, so it is high time you are reacquainted with them."  Granted, I am the reason most of them exist, but that doesn't mean I particularly care what they are. It takes away most of the fun...

"Oh, please", I say, rolling my eyes again. "I helped make those laws, I helped form this council, and you lot have the audacity to attempt to punish me?" They may hold power, but I exceed them in every way, and this farce was simply for my amusement.

And I am currently running out of patience.

"Do you recall what the High Council charged you with, all those years ago?" Dmitri asks, obviously to distract me. Vampires could be so cunning when it suited them.