Chapter 14: This is Where It Ends

~Scarlet~

Silence reigns in what was meant to be a room of life and energy. This was the product of thousands of years hiding from their own people.

 "Where is he? What have you done with him?" none of them answer me, they just stare blankly. For the first time in my existence, the Originals are all silent and unmoving, at a loss about what to do. These are the strongest of their respective races, yet they have no idea how to act.

"Why are you all just standing around and doing nothing? You have armies to ready, a mad boy to find, get a hold of yourselves!" Hecate is silently crying while Hades paces up and down, occasionally growling in frustration. My parents are standing near one another, holding hands.

"Oh for the love of all that isn't holy," I mutter and call up the generals of the armies, now rather useless, the races haven't fought each other in millennia. They all look completely at a loss as well while I explain the situation and command them to gather the forces willing and able.

When Vladimir and Wilhelm finally join in, I walk over to my parents and slam them against the wall. "Wake up and start acting like you know what you're doing, we have a school to defend," they both share a glance, and stare back at me.

"Don't look so surprised, I've been capable of this for years, you two are just unobservant," I let them down, and Morgana tries to hug me but I hold up a hand. "It doesn't mean that I forgive either of you, just that I now understand why you ruined my life on a regular basis."

"Now, if you'll all excuse me, I have a charge who is missing and I have a sneaking suspicion as to why," I walk to the set of French doors and open them while the council's eyes are transfixed on me. "The armies aren't going to command themselves you know," I say over my shoulder before I run out the doors, and into his rooms, flinging open his bedroom doors.

"Ian? Are you in here?" I call out, looking into the ridiculously huge bathroom. When he doesn't answer I walk into the closet and call out again, looking behind his clothes as if he's a scared child after a nightmare. "Where are you?" I mutter, looking everywhere I can think of before giving up and flashing out of his rooms, onto the giant lawn outside the school.

Once again, I feel nothing, so I flash into the forest and stand still, opening my mind up to him, pulling Ian's magical trace towards me. I stop on the lawn again, and wait for our link to kick in. There you are...

I run toward the amphitheatre, listening to him think the same things over and over...where are they? What will happen to me? Will she hate me? Am I completely idiotic for wanting to know her every thought? Will I die? Reaching the clearing, I slow down, speeding up the steps to the opening between the white columns glowing in the moonlight.

Of course...that's why he's attacking now, the power of the moon will help him pull out Ian's magic into himself so that he can construct a body from it. He isn't powerful enough on his own, he never was. The realisation forces me to stop at the base of the inner steps, and I have to windmill ridiculously to keep myself from falling over.

"Ian!" the sound of his own name doesn't even register, he just keeps on staring at his hands, sitting in my throne. 'Ian snap out of it!" He looks up, and his eyes meet mine, but for the first time, it repulses me. His eyes have turned black, as black as the jewel at my throat and the hair I've hated for so long.

This isn't Ian; this is Tristan, the vile, slimy snake who bears half of his blood. Or did, at one point, before I snapped his neck. "What did you do to him, Tristan?" as I speak, I siphon energy from my surroundings, keeping every part of him in full view.

He laughs mirthlessly while walking towards me. "Why do you care for him this much, Scarlet? He is so young and useless; he can't possibly give you anything but a headache." Ignoring him, I open my hands, summoning the azure flames I'm so famous for.