20 || Goodbye

"Are you willing to pay the price to keep Harry with you forever?"

Dani's world came to a pause. Was this the moment when she would have to choose the inevitable? Was she really going to sell her soul to have Harry by her side for all eternity (assuming they don't die young)? She couldn't even glance at Harry knowing that one look would literally split her heart in two.

Was she willing to break the hearts of everyone else if she says yes? Because that was the issue, wasn't it? If she should let her selfishness make all the decisions—

"Dani," Harry's voice broke her thoughts. "Look at me."

But wouldn't looking at Harry also remind her that he was the angel of her life? And his goodness was enough to cleanse her of all evil thoughts, evil thoughts of keeping him all to herself... because that's what Harry would want if he were being truthful. He would never hide away from the world if that meant breaking the hearts of many—not only of his fans, but of his friends and family.

Small Simon's laugh twirled in her head. "Decide now, girly. Decide your fate!"

"I..."

"Are you sure?" she heard Small Simon ask. Everything was a blur. Were the two actually talking or was that her thoughts that she was hearing?

"Yes. I think it's about time you give me what I want."

Not realizing that was Harry's voice, Dani blinked to see that the two males had left her on the bed, and had stood in front of the picture frames. What were they doing? As if hypnotized, she walked to follow them, and she gasped in surprise when Small Simon waved his hand to the wall, revealing a bright portal.

"Show me my 'other life' as you call it," Harry said.

Small Simon narrowed his eyes at the man. "What are you getting at!?"

"Actually... I want to know why Dani is thinking of letting me go."

Rubbing his pointed chin, Small Simon shrugged. "I suppose I can show you. After all, it is quite troublesome to fully disclose the terms of letting Dani keep you in this magical house forever."

Harry nodded. "I'm human too, after all. I think I need to know what's really going on."

"Very well. Consider it a token of my appreciation for setting me free," the imp responded, and glared at Dani. "Better talking to you than your lady love. Looks like she can never make a decision."

Harry spared her a sad look. "Please hang in there, Dani. We'll sort this out."

"That's your life, Harry Styles," Small Simon said. "As you can see, everyone is going gaga over your loss. In a bad way, that is." True enough, visions of his mother Anne, his sister Gemma, his dad... Everyone looked like they weren't getting enough sleep. His friends, his band mates... No one was happy. With what they were seeing, it's as if the authorities were planning to declare Harry Styles dead. They were blaming it on a "mystery fan".

Dani fell on her knees. Had she become that person? Sure, she must have kept Harry with her because of a magical spell, but... She wasn't that crazy person that people were blaming, right? It wasn't that way, right. Was it so wrong to love Harry so much?

"They all look so sad," Harry mumbled mindlessly.

The exhaustion of all the hiding, lying, and agonizing over what has happened the past few days weighed heavy on Dani's shoulders. Her life had been turned upside down since Harry's appearance under her bed, and of course, it wasn't conventional and a bit out of this world, but she was willing to live with this secret for the rest of her life. She was beyond confused. Beyond hurt for reasons she could not explain. Why did things get this complicated?

How can she meet Harry's eyes now? Why did this feel like it was her fault when it clearly wasn't? She wanted to blame Small Simon, but she knew doing so would only result in her mockery.

"Just reach out, boy, and everything will return to the way it was," Small Simon said.

It broke her heart when Harry Styles extended his lithe arm across the barrier, the tips of his fingers dissolving into the glow. "I'll be able to find Dani after this, right?"

Small Simon laughed. "What do you think this is? A fairytale? Stop bullshitting yourselves! Real life isn't always a happy ending. I said things will return to the way it was. Of course that means you'll go back without your memories." He growled. "You humans are the most difficult lot—"

Dani didn't even realize that Harry had wrapped his arms around the small imp. "Harry... what are you doing!?"

Clenching his jaw, Harry took a step closer to the light. "I know I'll find you, Dani. I know it in my heart."

"No, Harry, you don't know what you're saying..." Dani pleaded, seeing the side of his arm touch the barrier that led to his real life. She watched as Small Simon clawed against Harry's arm. Each time she took a step closer, he inched closer to the light. "Harry, please, let's just—"

"Dani," Harry said, trying to talk despite the way Small Simon was trying to break free from his hold. "You and I... we're meant to be."

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME, YOU GIANT FUCKER! I'LL GET BACK AT YOU FOR THIS!!!"

"As long as I keep you away from her, I'll be fine." Turning to her, Harry smiled. "I'll be praying to find you soon, Wifey," Harry whispered. "I love you."

"HARRY, NOOOOOOO!" Dani shouted at the top of her lungs as Harry jumped into the light, taking the small imp with him. Before she can follow him--consequences be damned, the ground began to shake, knocking her off her feet. The barrier was getting smaller, and it was sucking everything in the room inside it. She felt like she was screaming, but she couldn't hear anything but the loud wind against her ears.

All she could do was hold onto something—exactly what, she didn't know, but she felt like she was stuck in a black hole, and then the next thing she knew, something thumped her on the head, leaving her unconscious.

When Dani opened her eyes the next morning, back in her room which was in a complete mess, the magical stone amulet now completely eradicated from existence, all she could do was burst into tears.

Harry Styles was literally gone from her life and she didn't even get to say goodbye.

Peekaboo Harry • HSजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें