Wanderlust 3 • Doras and the Explorers

Last night was lackluster and Dani didn't want to point fingers. Boo had still been knocked out when she returned to their room, and Dani had locked herself in the bathroom and had a really long bath. She didn't come out even after she heard Jewel return.

Dani couldn't count how many times she had to submerge herself in her soapy bath just to drown out the annoying sounds in her head. Ever since Harry disappeared, she had struggled to forget everything they had together. It had been hardest to forget his soft whispers. It was not easy, especially when she had spent the last five years or so listening to him sing. Her mind had recorded those sweet nothings in her ear so easily that it drove her nearly insane.

When she saw someone who reminded her of Harry at the bar, Dani just freaked out. All thoughts about having fun and partying had evaporated, and all she could do was run.

It was strange, to be honest. It was peculiar to go through something so life-changing and magical and go back to believing that miracles don't exist in this lifetime. How can she believe that something so amazing could happen to her again? It was impossible. It was impossible to think that Harry would remember her.

Dani had watched his curt interview with James Corden. She was relieved that he made it in one piece to the other side of the world, but a part of her felt crushed. She was hoping he would say something about her—anything at all. She could tell he was confused, but since when has perplexity ever lead to something good? It just didn't add up; would she have to wait for forever until Harry remembered her? He didn't even have a picture of her, an address, a phone number...

Would she have to spend the rest of her life waiting in vain? Hadn't already she put her life on hold all those years loving him? And now she had to do it all over again? It was just unfair to her, and she didn't want to do it again. Why was she the only one supposed to make sacrifices?

When she went to sleep that night, Dani told herself that she had to give Harry Styles a rest. If he was going to move on with his life without hers, then she just had to do the same.

But Harry Styles was everywhere.

The next morning, Dani and her companions were sitting on one of the tables to eat their complementary breakfasts. They went in late because they slept in, and if she didn't blink twice, she swore she saw someone with long hair and tattoos leaving for the beach.

She had to slap herself. Pinch herself hard. When the sisters told her to go explore town, she didn't hesitate and said yes. The hotel felt suffocating to her, and she did go to Bali to relax and have fun.

The day passed by pleasantly, taking pictures, food-tripping, and getting to know the locals—though the latter part was more on Boo. Unfortunately, she didn't have the same amount of energy to talk to people. Her thoughts kept drifting to her craziness at the bar.

After having their dinner, they dumped all their purchases in their hotel room and headed back downstairs to the beach. It was a pretty cool night, and the three of them were huddled together as they walked on the soft sand.

Boo pointed to a direction to their right, a map on her other hand. "I heard that we can join a hike over there tomorrow. Just a simple trek. I heard there were monkeys and other 'wonders that's only present in Bali'."

"What time do we have to wake up?" Jewel asked, tying her sarong around her waist.

"7 AM," Boo said. "I've already set our alarms. Your phone included, Dani."

"Thanks," Dani said. Honestly, she hadn't really bothered with her phone since they got here for good reason. She just wanted to free herself from technology and make the most of the vacation. Although they should probably take pictures tomorrow.