Chapter 3| When did your heart go missing?

Adam Sheffield is looking at me and I mean right at me; his intense blue eyes are filled with excitement. He holds my gaze and I’m unable to move. My heart is beating__ a little too fast for my liking__ and I can feel a tingling sensation forming down there.

I want to punch him for having such an effect on me. I’m supposed to be hating this guy, I’m and the fact that he’s here, why am I feeling this way. Normally when I hate someone I’m able to look past all their redeeming qualities. This is just something I can’t seem to understand.

Mr. Kaiser scratches his throat loudly, interrupting our little stare-a-thon. “Can you please take a seat Mr.…?”

Adams turns to Mr. Kaiser and says, “Sheffield.”

“Mr. Sheffield, please have a seat so I can begin teaching my class.” His tone is brusque.

Adam catches on to the tone and plows himself on the desk right next to mine. I can see him looking at me in my periphery smirking, the douche bag actually has the nerve to smirk. I turn around to look at him full force and sneer like his worst nightmare but it doesn’t work. The dirt bag is still looking at me like me with a smile plaster across his stupid little smug face.

I don’t pay attention to a word Mr. Kaiser says for the entire class period instead I put my thinking cap on trying to come with ways to end his miserable little life before he gets too comfortable at my school. I can spreading rumors about him, tell everyone I know he’s gay or he’s got some kind of STD like gonorrhea or syphilis which might be a possibility since he’s got a pimple pop on top on his chin that kind of resembles a sore.

I can push him down the stairs after class but he’d most likely get seriously injured or worst die and I’m too young to be a delinquent. I have my whole life ahead of me, it might be a life led by my father but still it’s a life. I can ask Lucas and his friends to scare him off….that might work because Lucas may look scrawny but he hangs out with big muscly guys, Callie calls them his bodyguard.

The thing about Lucas is I can’t ask him for help because if I do he’ll think that I need him and I can’t have that. The last thing I need is a needy ex-boyfriend trying to get in back into my life again. So Lucas and his bodyguards are a no, no.

“That’s our class,” Ms. Kaiser says clasping his hands. “Don’t forget the syllabus quiz is tomorrow.”

I sigh stuffing my notebook in my bag. I can’t believe I was going to have a quiz on the second day of school. I shouldn’t be surprised because it is an AP class but I’m not ready for a quiz, I’m not ready for anything; not a quiz, or test or one of those hard final exams. I’m totally not ready for this, my enthusiasm level has gone way down since this morning and it’s only going to get worst.

I storm out of class in frustration. I have lunch next and I already know Callie is waiting for me at our usual table which is located right in the center of the lunchroom where Callie likes to be, in the center of attention. We usually sit with people she likes to calls “friends” but I know they’re just acquaintances. Sometimes I make small conversations with them, chiming in every now and then as they discuss their sad little relationships. I’m in no mood to neither listen to that shit today nor pretend to care.

“Hey!” Adam calls. “Wait up.”

I don’t wait up, I keep walking, fast like I’m trying to get away from a man who I know is about to rape me. As I turn the corner to make my way towards the cafeteria hall he catches with me. He apparently has a knack for that, catching up with me when I don’t want him to, hmm…..I wonder if that means anything.

“So you’re just going to ignore me.”

I say nothing, show no emotion or reaction.

“Fine you don’t have to say anything.” He says stepping in front of me to block my way. I move to the left he moves along with me, then I move to the right and he does it as well. We go back and forth for a couple of seconds then I stop moving altogether.