Chapter 7| I like him, I like him not

Adam is looking at me, then he looks down at his phone, and then he looks back up at me again. He looks completely distraught by the current situation. Well, there goes our kiss. That bitch Samantha has always had the worst timing. There's only one way I can survive this epic awkward moment.

"I have to go," I say.

I take one step away from him and suddenly this wave of nausea just hits me out of nowhere. It feels like I'm going to faint and throw up at the same time. This is what happens when the guy you like is involved with someone else. Love truly does suck.

"Are you okay?" Adam asks, his hand resting in the small part of my back.

I close my eyes and count to ten. When I reopen them again I feel just as bad.

"I'll take you home," He offers.

"No, no, I'll walk."

"You can't walk home like this." Oh so now he's suddenly worried about me. "I'll take you."

"I don't need you, Adam." The words are a lie; my heart knows this because just after I say them it begins to pound frantically. "Let me go." I shake his hand off me.

"Don't be so damn stubborn, Nastassia. You're Cleary not able to walk home."

He's right. God knows what will happen to me if I walk home like this. I probably wouldn't make and some stranger would discover my body on the side of the road and they'd call an ambulance and after they identify me and notify my father he would have a coronary. So walking home isn't a good option.

"My car's at Chris's house." I tell him.

"I'll take you there, then." He says taking my hand into his to lead me to his car.

The tips of my fingers are tingling. I can't remember the last time a guy held my hand and Adam had a nice protective grip which is a bonus. Once we make it to the car and we're settled inside silence fills up the air. The tension is so palpable and so thick I could cut it with a knife. I know we're both thinking about it, the almost kiss, the one that was disrupted by Samantha's phone call.

We both wanted it so I'm not going to feel bad for almost kissing him. I yearned to feel the softness of his lips on mine, slowly kissing me like they do at the end of every cliché movie. Why did that bitch have to call him? What the hell did she want anyway?

"Listen," Adam begins, trying to keep his voice light. "What almost happened back there, I don't want Samantha to know."

I try my best to not to overreact. Is that what he thinks of me, that I'm a tattletale? When a girl kisses a guy whose taken__ almost kiss in our case here__ they don't run to the guy's actual girlfriend and tell him about it. I know the girls Lucas was messing around with never spoke to me about the dirty deeds he was doing with them when we were together.

"I'm not going to tell her anything."

He sighs loudly with relief as he came into a stop light then he turns to face me. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah," I say reluctantly.

"What were you really doing by my house today?"

Oh shit!

So it would appear that he didn't believe the little lie Chris had made up when he first asked. I can't tell him the truth, absolutely not; he'll think that I'm a psycho. Well, actually, in all honesty he already thinks that I'm a psycho but I don't want to add stalker on the list. I like this guy; I want him to think the best of me even if he's an asshole sometimes who jumps to conclusions about what he doesn't know.