Chapter 5| Samantha who?

"Nastassia!"

My father calls me from the dining room. I've only set foot in the kitchen for like two seconds and already he's calling me. I ignore him and head for the plate of delicious French toast Nina had set out on the kitchen table. Midway through piling my plate my Father calls me again.

"Nastassia Janine Miller I know you hear me calling you."

He's using my whole name, this isn't good, it can't be good. I skipped out on dinner last night, I didn't get to meet his new potential love interest and now I was in trouble. After I got home late last night everyone was asleep and so I thought I was off the hook for missing dinner but it would appear that I wasn't.

Knowing my father he's probably going to give me a good talking to, make me feel like a worthless pile of shit and send me on my way. On a full stomach I could handle anything he threw at me but I'm not equipped to deal with him without food in my system.

I take a good hard look at the French toast, my mouth drooling a bit before walking out of the room. When I make it to the dining room my father is sitting at the head of the table, his large mug of coffee in hand and he's already dressed for work. My father epitomizes the words silver fox. He's got this old fashioned manly sex appeal to him that's hard to describe; think Anderson Cooper, a little older and George Clooney a little less handsome. He's refined, very masculine and well built. I can see why he's such a catch with all the ladies at the hospital despite his age.

He's staring at me under his hooded eyes. I walk up to him carefully and take the seat closest to him, although, I would rather sit at the other end of the table shouting out my answers to him over the room. I don't want to press his already pressed buttons. I'm not going to make matters worse.

"Where were you last night?"

He's cutting right to the chase. He's not giving me time to think about my answer. I should tell him the truth but the truth will not set me free so I decide to lie.

"I was at Callie's."

He looks up at me now, lips pressed into a thin line and he says nothing. I realize that he's waiting for me to further elaborate about what was so important at Callie's that caused me to miss last night's dinner so I put my thinking cap on and try to come up with a good lie.

"Callie and I were looking over our syllabus and prepping our school stuff for the semester. You know how organized she is so it practically took us the entire night and by the time we were done her mother told me to stay over for dinner." I tell him with a little silent prayer that he buys it.

He says nothing for a while and I get scared. Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit he sees right through me. I've been lying to him for years, I've came up with some of the best lies in history to get out of trouble with my father and I think it's finally catching up to me. I'm trying to avert his steady stern gaze but he's holding me in place. I knew coming here on an empty stomach was a bad idea.

"Were you not aware that I had a special guest coming over last night?"

"Nina told me last minute," I say and this is the truth. I can attest to it.

"And yet you decided to stay over at Callie's. Don't you spend enough time with that girl? When will you learn to be independent?"

He's going there. My Father knows my spots, he knows what ticks me off and he always takes full advantage of it hitting me where it hurts. I take it though; I've been taking it I'm a big girl wearing my big girl panties. He can't break me down.

"Lucinda was really excited to meet you and your sister last night and you embarrassed me by not showing up." He's scratching his chin with his index finger probably thinking of a punishment for me. "She wants to have lunch with you sometimes this weekend and so I told her you'd meet her at Barrington this Saturday at noon. You better be on time and on your best behavior."