Chapter 5: Apology

Peter held out a hand for me as I climbed my way out of the burrow. I would have taken it had it been almost any other gentleman on the face of the planet, but taking his hand? Never.

I reached passed his hand and grabbed onto a branch to hoist myself up. Standing on open ground again, I brushed the dirt off my dress and waited for Wendy to climb out.

Peter crossed his arms over his chest and grinned, "I'll get to you like me one of these days."
I fixed my hair as best I could, "I doubt it, but do amuse me by trying."
"I still don't see why you hate me anyway." He said, sealing the hatch in the ground.
I turned my back to him, "That's because you refuse to see that you've done anything wrong."
"I haven't."
"Alright there," Wendy said, stepping between Peter and I, "There's some bad blood here, I see that. But let's forget about it for now and try to show Ophelia that she'll enjoy Neverland, yeah Peter?"

Peter whined a little, upset that he couldn't rebuke my statement, but shut his mouth all the same. I smiled to myself at this small victory.

It was difficult for me, but I kept trying to remind myself that Wendy was putting in an effort. I was flaming mad about all she had done, but it occurred to me that this is exactly what I had wanted since the moment she returned -- her attention. Not all of it, I didn't expect her world to revolve around me, but the amount that a family member deserves. Even though it had taken months of my heart breaking for her to notice it, Wendy did. And I had to at least give her the chance to make it up to me.

But Peter, he was an entirely different story. No matter what he did, I couldn't see a possible scenario where he earned my forgiveness. I didn't want him to be forgiven, because he didn't deserve it. He took everything from me, and doesn't seem remotely sorry for it -- in fact, he seems proud. Wendy and my brothers are like trophies to him. Another adventure he conquered. Sick and twisted is what that boy is. I don't see how my siblings enjoy his company. Something is definitely not right in his head.

The way he talks makes him sound like a madman. He behaves as if he's some ill mannered child, always jumping about shouting things. It's a miracle he remembers to eat, since he forgets to ever clean his home or himself. The boy is absolutely filthy! I can see the dirt and grime layered on his skin and clothing. It disgusts me. He disgusts me.

"I'm not the one who's being stubborn." Peter said, fixing his hat.
"How am I being stubborn?" I asked.
"Because you refuse to like me!"
I chuckled, turning to face him, "You really are a little boy, aren't you."
"Yes," He answered, walking past me and into the jungle, "And I plan on keeping it that way."

Wendy shook her head and followed behind Peter, ushering me to follow them both. Peter lead us down a path through the shrubbery that was actually walkable. Unlike my last time in here were I made my own path and ran over everything.

The air was dense with the sweet smelling humidity that all jungles have. The sun was high in the sky, it's rays trickling down through the heavy canopy of trees above our heads. Flowers and fruits dangled from tall branches way into the sky, some looking too brightly colored to be edible. Mushrooms and ferns grew from the floor beneath my feet, little reptiles and crawlies scattering for cover as we walked by. I would say that there was a silence between the three of us, but there wasn't. Birds chirped from tree branches, insects buzzed as they passed my ears, animals clicked and called at one another. It was an orchestra of sounds.

This was quite unlike my first impression of the jungle. Running through it with the pirates on my tail made it scary -- filled to the brim with plants that wanted to ensnare me and monsters that wanted to kill me -- but walking through it now, it didn't feel that way. Taking my time as I strolled through, I noticed that the jungle was full of much more life than I knew. The vines that strung between each tree sprouted delicate looking flowers, those flowers attracted bees who dipped down to collect pollen, and then those bees beckoned the other small animals who ate them. I watched a small monkey, maybe the size of my fist, stick his hand out fast as lightening and grab a bug. He stuck the snack into his mouth, munching away happily. The little monkey caught my eye, and curiously tilted his head at me. He made quiet sounds, as monkeys do, and from behind him a larger monkey climbed down the vine. She picked up the young thing by the scruff of his neck and hoisted him onto her back, leading him back to wherever they came from.