Chapter 7: On a Pirate Ship

Arthur.

How can this be the same Arthur that I met in the secret gardens back in London? The same charming, handsome, soft spoken gentleman with a kindness in his eyes and a welcoming in his gestures? This person standing before me was somebody else. This man was rough, unshaven, and frightening -- his coal outlined eyes made the blue pop out, making the stubble on his chin undeniable. He wore a hoop in his ear and was covered head to toe in black leather, and yet I knew this was him.

This was Arthur.

I couldn't tear my eyes from him, wide and unblinking with bewilderment. I saw his eyes widen ever so slightly at the sight of me, but he gave no other indication of knowing me. Maybe he didn't recognize me out of London. It certainly took me a second glance to recognize him.

Arthur looked away from me and gazed over the whole group, an evil grin spreading on his cheeks.
"What luck we have," He chuckled, strolling directly before us, "One Peter Pan, ten little Lost Boys, and... would you look at what we have here."

He walked his heavy boots and leaned over Wendy and I, our hands tied behind our backs and gags in our mouths.
"Two exquisite creatures seem to have gotten tangled up in this hoard of nasty children."

Wendy narrowed her eyes at Arthur, disgust in her firey gaze. Now Arthur was so close that he was practically in our faces, and I got a clear whiff of alcohol. It clung to his breath, to his clothes, and the thought of that wonderful gentleman I knew drinking that vile drink made my stomach churn with distaste. No wonder he was behaving so differently.

"Now, men," Arthur grinned, putting a hand under his chin, "I think we would be doing these two ladies a favor if we kept them on board while we disposed of their tiny kidnappers, don't you agree?"

The pirates gathered on the deck cried out with excited agreements, raising swords in the air and taking hats off their heads.
The Lost Boys also cried out, but in angry disagreement. They all pulled at their restraints and growled at Arthur. Michael tried to stand up -- poor, brave, little Michael -- he was so fuming, but a pirate grabbed him by the back of his nightie and hoisted him up, pointing a sword at his chest.

I screamed out, only a muffle under my gag, but was powerless to go anywhere. The rope connecting my hands and legs left me immobile. The other pirates cackled, the boys wiggled to help Michael, but Arthur remained silent.

I whipped my head back to him, pleading at him with near tears in my eyes. He was nonchalantly leaning against the railing, one hand across his chest and the other grooming his beard. When he caught my eye, I detected the slightest hint of guilt behind them, but he didn't speak up to stop the man holding my brother. Instead, he opened his arms wide and walked back over to our restrained group.

"Hush, hush, children," He smiled, "You'll all get your turn."

The rest of the pirates laughed again, and now I looked at him with the strongest distaste.

The waves knocked against the side of the ship, rocking us back and forth, causing the sails to flap loud and violently. Pain shot up my arms as I struggled with the ropes once again, digging into my open wounds. I was still damp from the waterfall, and I shivered with both fear and coldness. This Arthur frightened me. There was no telling what he would do to me or my siblings.

"What shall I do with you lot?" Arthur contemplated, holding a finger to his lips and jutting out his bottom lip, "Tie you to the mast, let you starve?"

Some of the pirates rallied up again, the idea of violence exciting them.

"Cut out your tongues," He suggested, slowly unsheathing his long sword, "Stomp them beneath my boots?"