Chapter 21: Sea Legs

Walking through the jungle with Arthur by my side, I couldn't shake the weight on my heart. It followed me every step of the way and I couldn't exactly trace it back to a specific point. I just felt... glum.

Maybe it was a mixture of things. I had once again lost my siblings to the illusion of Peter Pan, I was lying to Slightly about Arthur, and then sneaking around with him while Slightly had no clue. I was sad about my siblings, guilt ridden about lying to my sole lost boy friend on this island, and worried about these secret rendezvous with Arthur.

What would happen if Slightly found out about Arthur and I? I can only think of the worst outcomes. He'll hate me. He'll never want to speak to me or see me again. He'll be angry and heartbroken that I lied to him for all this time, and then he'll abandon me, just like so many others have.

And what is even going on with Arthur and I? It's hard for me to admit it but I really couldn't picture myself without him on this forsaken island. If I had been stuck in the hideout with only my siblings betrayal to keep me company, I would have gone out of my mind. Arthur had kept me distracted and sane since I've been here, even if he continued to irk me sometimes. I don't know what's happening with us. I'm worried that if I let myself truly fall... something terrible could happen.

Plus, when Tala killed and deposited that poor, dead bird by my feet, it was the icing on the cake. It snapped something inside of me, and now I felt drained. Things around me seemed melancholy. Even Arthur's once persistent flirtations have come to a halt since I can't find the witty come backs to respond.

I walked in silence with my head down as the sun rose and the sky morphed into its bright, beautiful blue. Tala kept pace with us and occasionally scampered ahead. Each time she came back, I feared another innocent animal would be trapped in her jaws. Luckily she came back empty mouthed every time.

"I don't think I've ever heard you so quiet, blondie." Arthur finally spoke up, holding a branch out of the way for me.
I gave a small shrug and waited for him to catch up, keeping my eyes down, "I can't explain it."
"I'm not asking you to. I understand the need for privacy, and for personal space. But know this; should you ever find that you want to talk, or simply need someone to listen, I shall be here for you. I promise."

I tilted my head up and stopped walking, looking into his captivating blue eyes. The dark scruff on his cheeks was longer than it had been since I met him but I found that it only made his eyes pop more. I gave him a small smile and tried not to squint against the sun, "Thank you."

He gifted me with one of his breathtaking smiles that caused a fresh round of butterflies to take flight in my stomach. His hand went out and gently reached for mine, bringing it up to his face and taking a step closer to me so that out knees brushed against one another.

His voice was a mere whisper as it softly caressed the skin on the top of my hand, followed by a warm kiss on my knuckles that sent shivers down my arm.
"For you, anything."

I nearly melted into a puddle at his words, but was able to keep most of my composure. I will say this about Arthur -- he sure knows how to capture a girl's heart.

Seeing the hint of a smile on my face, he proceeded to lace his fingers in between mine and continue leading me on our way back to the beach. The sun was slowly rising and with each step we took the jungle came alive a little more. The day smelled of new beginnings, and new adventures. Speaking of new adventures...

"So what exactly is so amazingly entertaining on your ship that we must return to it for?"
Arthur quickly pushed his hand through his dark hair, "It's a surprise."
I gave him a pointed look, "I'm not a big fan of surprises."
"You'll like this one, trust me."