Epilogue

Two years later

London, England

I hustled down the busy sidewalk with my bag thrown haphazardly over my shoulder. My dainty shoes, which I had recently traded in from spending five months in fur-lined boots, clicked on the stones as I weaved in and out of the crowds. Everybody was in a rush to get home from a long day at work but still they seemed to crawl along the streets, moving at a snail's pace.
My speed generated enough wind to almost blow the sun hat from my head so I gripped it tightly with one hand and my bag with the other.

"Now I've got you!"

I inhaled sharply when I heard the shrill exclamation of my sister, alerting me that she was hot on my tail. I let out a small shriek and my fast walking turned into a sprint as she chased me from behind, her pigtails swishing on her back. I clumsily bumped into passerbys as I ran from Wendy and mumbled apologies, but I didn't stop running.

I climbed over a bench and landed in a puddle with a splash, dousing the ends of my dress and discoloring my white stockings.

Wendy laughed pitifully as she called from behind me. "That's your third pair this week!"
I peaked over my shoulder and returned her smile, swinging myself around a lamppost to avoid colliding with a couple hand in hand, "They should make these things in a color other than white!"

Wendy, not so fortunate to have my skills in navigation, smacked into the poor couple and sent them stumbling forward. They turned and gave her a nasty look as she apologized the best she could, and then ran off again after me.

Before very long the crowded sidewalk thinned out and the two of us were left running down an empty sidewalk. It turned into a race. I took a breath and catapulted myself faster, my bag knocking against my knees, and heard Wendy's footsteps falling behind me.

I saw the iron fence that surrounded the front of my house and prepared myself to jump again. The moment I was within stride I flung myself over the short fence and dashed across the lush, green grass and sprouting tulips. Our gardener, Marcus, waved to me as I passed him. My feet touched the white steps of our porch and finally I was able to slow myself, coming to a halt at the front door.

Wendy climbed the steps a few moments after me, panting but smiling nonetheless. "You've still got it."
I grinned. "Of course I do. Although you refuse to believe it."
She brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes and pointed a finger in my face as she moved towards the door, "One of these days I'm going to catch you."
"I look forward to the day, sister." I mocked, giving her a low curtsy.

She rolled her eyes, opening the door and disappearing inside. I laughed to myself and dropped my bag on the floor, flinging my hat beside it and climbing up on the banister of the porch.

It was Spring time yet again in London, and on warm days like this when the sky was blue and a breeze swept through the air, I loved sitting in the shade of the porch and listening to the birds. Seeing the flowers grow a little more each day was another promising sight.

My gaze lifted to the magnificent house across the street that was almost done with construction. In such a short time it had gone from abandoned gardens to beautiful home. Two years ago it had been empty, but two years ago a lot of things were different.

When we returned from our trip to Neverland, things moved rather quickly.

Mother and Father went stiff with relief at seeing us and babbled for hours about how they imagined the worst. Though it felt like only days, we had spent ten months in Neverland. A much longer time than my siblings had previously, which is why parents automatically assumed the worst. When they asked where we were, we told them the truth. Of course they didn't believe us, but I could have sworn I saw a tick in Mother's eye when we mentioned Neverland. As if perhaps the word sounded familiar to her, though it was never mentioned again.