Chapter 37: Findings

A/N: Hey guys! This isn't exactly the chapter I wanted to post but I figured I've been keeping you waiting long enough so I should at least post something. I'm currently writing the remainder of what was to be this chapter and it will be up soon, so just think of this as a bonus :) And also, thank you so much to everyone who filled out my survey. Your responses have helped me a ton and I only hope I can continue to meet your approval. Enjoy!!

I scampered through the underbrush on my belly and ignored the feel of dirt lodging itself under my fingernails. I had long since forgone any attempts at keeping myself prim and proper, seeing as how it was inevitable that I would soon be covered in dirt again.

My hair, thankfully tied back with my trusted red bandana, clung to my neck which was dampened by sweat. The cold weather had left almost as quickly as it had come, and we were back to the normal temperatures we knew so well. The kind that made days like today, days where I rummaged around in the dirt, all the more exhilarating.

I used my elbows to drag myself forward, keeping my head low, until I was almost completely hidden beneath the thick bushes. I felt something rustle the bushes beside me as I carefully held my looking glass up to my eye.

"See anything?" Slightly asked, shimmying until he was at shoulder level with me.

I squinted into the glass and scoured the jungle for what I wanted to find. My eyes traveled over fallen trees, and blooms of flowers, and even the occasional flicker of a mischievous fairy, but I did not see the one thing I was searching for.

"No sign of it yet, but I know it's around here somewhere."
I handed Slightly the glass and he looked at me quizzically before peering into it, "How can you be sure?"
"Because I know how to read a map properly." I whispered back.
"Hey." Slightly defended, moving the glass away from his eye, "That was one time."

"Yes," I chuckled lowly, taking the glass out of his hands and tucking it back into my pocket, "But you cost us the game, which is why I'm the Captain now."
Slightly huffed and put his hands under his chin, muttering something about 'stupid rules'.

While Slightly was whining about not being Captain, a glimmer of something in the distance caught my attention. I squinted at it, moving my head to the left the tiniest bit, and I saw it. The treasure.

"No time for crying now, Slightly." I grinned, elbowing him gently and nodding towards the chest, "We've struck gold."

Slightly followed my line of sight and his face lit up in a smile. We exchanged excited glances, and then he cupped his hands over his mouth and gave off a series of chirps and barks. We waited until we heard the return signal, a Blue-Jay's call, and then we heard the simultaneous rustle of tree tops.

Looking up, I could see my team swinging from branch to branch. I pushed myself up and brushed the dirt from my leather pants, extending a hand to help Slightly.

As I unsheathed my sword, and Slightly notched an arrow on his bow, our team landed on the jungle floor around us.

"You found it then?" Curly whispered, landing skillfully in a crouch as he hopped down from the trees.
I nodded, glancing at Wendy as she helped Michael down, "It's just through there."
One of the Twins who was on my crew scratched the top of his head in confusion. "Seems awful quiet."
"I agree. A little too easy, don't you think, Fee?" Wendy asked.

With my sword in my hand, I did a once over of our surroundings.

There was no movement in sight, and just beyond the line of trees, was our treasure.