Chapter Four

The sound of the school bell resonates throughout the halls as Alexia slid into her seat of her Physics class. Caden did an exaggerated imitation of her actions and, much to Alexia's dismay, took the seat next to her. Alexia immediately felt his presence and the air around her warming up instantly as he greeted her with his usual wry smile. Alexia resisted the urge to smack him square in the face.

"Good morning resident genius," he sang in a way that always made it seem as though he was mocking her.

Alexia opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by Almier.

"Hey Alexia! Have you completed your French homework?"

Caden's smile dropped off his face. "Who're you?" he said bluntly.

Alexia was shocked. "Caden! Where are your manners? This is Almier, the new guy in my geography class. Almier, this is Caden, my … classmate."

If Almier was offended by Caden's rude way of introduction, he didn't show it. Instead, he smiled and offered his hand to Caden. "Nice to meet you. Im new here, so I could use all the interaction I could get. Besides, it's always nice to meet one of Alexia friends."

"Classmate," Alexia stressed through her teeth.

Caden brushed aside her comment. "Oh, Alexia doesn't have friends," he looked at her. "Except that weird girl with the serial killer name. But you could have the honour of being her first more-than-acquaintance from the opposite gender!"

Almier laughed. "Why, Alexia. I'd thought a girl of your caliber would be more popular than this!"

Alexia shrugged and made a mental note to murder Caden later for that comment. "I try not to associate myself with them," she replied simply.

Almier leaned in and winked. Alexia was shocked. Where had shy, awkward Almier gone and who was this sassy confident dude in his place. "Well, anyway, I would be honored," he said, walking away to the seat a few rows infront of her.

She turned back around to Caden who immediately pouted at her. "Alexia, we've been classmates since elementary school and I'm still not considered your friend? I am hurt."

"Give it a rest Caden, you know we never got along."

"Well you and your new boyfriend do," Caden commented, an innocent remark that, under normal circumstances, would not have hit Alexia so hard.

"He's not my boyfriend!" she stuttered.

Caden snorted. "Oh puh-leeze. I've seen the look in your eyes when he's around and I've seen that look before." He leaned in closer and looked her in the eyes. Alexia uncomfortably shifted further away. "In the eyes of couples, deeply in looove."

Alexia forced a laugh. "And I suppose you're some love expert."

Caden tossed his head back in mock pride. "What can i say, baby. Ain't my fault i got all them girls tryna' get a bit of me."

Alexia rolled her eyes. "That's nice, Caden, but I don't come to you for love advice."

Caden smirked. "Your loss, then. However, you come to me for laughs, and I go to you for homework, and that's how our relationship works. Now if you would be so kind, Alexia, do hand over yesterday's answers."