Twenty-nine

can’t believe you’re going away today!” Alexia’s mother cried, wrapping her in her tenth hug that morning.

Alexia forced a smile, trying to keep the butterflies in her stomach down. “Oh, mom. It’s not like I’m migrating, it’s only two weeks!”

“You’ve never been away for two weeks before, and you’ll be in a country with a different language!”

“Mom, relax! Like I said, I won’t be alone. Besides, I’m rarely even home, anyway. You won’t miss my presence,” Alexia told her.

Her mother sighed. “Have you got everything?” she asked, patting her bulging luggage.

“Yes, Mom. Don’t worry!” She assured her.

Ryan stepped in. “It alright Mother, I’ll take care of you,” he joked, placing a protective arm on her shoulder.

“Oh, please. You kids wouldn’t even help with the chores on a regular basis. What makes you think I need you help now?” her mother scoffed.

Ryan grinned. “I’m going to be the only child for two weeks. You’ll form some kind of unbreakable bond with me and poor old Alexia will regret leaving!” To Alexia he said, “Farewell, dear sister, try not to miss me too much.”

Alexia rolled her eyes and gave her brother a shove. “More like I’ll try not to run away before the return trip just so I don’t have to come back home to you.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just try to refrain from racking up a whole chain of French boys while you’re there. Remember you don’t exactly have a clear quota back home, either,” her brother winked at her and their mother looked horrified.

“As much as I’d like a handsome european son-in-law, Alexia, you come home single with your virginity still in tact, young lady! Don’t even try doing anything funny just because I’m not there!” her mother warned, sending her one of her famous motherly, all-powerful glares.

Alexia sighed again, mortified that her mother would even consider such extremes. “Mom! Now you’re just being overly paranoid! I’ll be fine! Trust me!”

“Take care over there, Alexia. If you need anything, remember we’re just a phone call away,” her father chimed in, suddenly reminding Alexia of his presence.

I sure hope that “we” doesn’t include you, because it sure would be ironic if it did, considering how you weren’t so much as contactable for the majority of my life. She thought bitterly. However, this day was one which she had been looking forward to for over a year and she wasn’t about to let the hatred she harboured towards her father ruin it.

“Thanks, Dad,” she said stiffly, embracing him in an awkward hug that was more representative of his relationship with a client than a daughter.

“Remember to call every night!” her mother reminded her again, hugging her tighter than she had in years.

“I will,” Alexia promised. “Goodbye, Ryan. Please don’t even think of doing anything to any of my possessions while I’m gone,” she told her brother, who, too, enveloped her in a huge hug.

“I can’t promise you that, but I can tell you that Suzanne will be very glad to be freed of the prying eye of the little sister,” he joked, ruffling her hair, an action which annoyed her to great extents.

“That’s disgusting!” Alexia exclaimed, pulling a face. “I’d much rather not know what you do with her, thank you!” She hoisted up her backpack and pulled the handle of her luggage up. “Bye! See you all in two weeks!” She called over her shoulder, waving, as she hurried to join the rest of the group.

“Hey,” Almier said, looking flushed and as excited as her. Alexia could feel her hands tingling and the excitement running through her veins. It’s finally here! The day I go the France with Almier has finally arrived! “You excited?”

“Is that even a question?” Alexia replied, practically bouncing on her toes. “You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this!”

“Ditto. It’s been forever since I last sat on a plane,” he enthused, running his fingers over his plane ticket.

Alexia laughed. “Your ticket to two weeks of freedom, I suppose.””

Almier held it up against the light. “More like to my hopes, dreams and future!” he said dramatically. “I just wish it was a one way ticket.” He smiled at her and gave the golden ticket a kiss. Then, his eyes fell to Alexia’s side. “Your bad is blinking.”

Alexia immediately zipped it open and reached in, fumbling around for her phone. She pulled it out, dislodging some of her items along the way, and was greeted by 20 new messages.

“Wow, someone’s popular,” Almier joked, his eyes on her screen.

“Nah, they’re all from K.H,” Alexia told him, scrolling through the messages of K.H apologizing for being too lazy to drag herself out of bed to send her off and wishing her a good flight. There were also some messages threatening her to send her gifts, lest her life be at stake. She was about to chuck her phone back in her bag when she realized one more message, blinking up at her like the lone soldier left in battle. It was from Caden.

Have a safe trip, Alexia! Hope you have fun with your boytoy! it read, and Alexia couldn’t help smiling.

Thanks, she quickly typed back, then after a moment of consideration added,Boarding now. See you when I get home. To present him from leading their rare moment of interaction into an interrogation of her absence and to give him a glimmer of hope in the form of a promise she wasn’t sure if she would keep.

“Boarding time,” Almier nudged her, gathering his bags and maneuvering towards the gate.

Alexia hastily shut her phone and flung it back into her backpack. She picked up her luggage and followed behind Almier. However, as she made her way towards the gate, she couldn’t help glancing back to check if there had been just one more person who had come to send her off.