Chapter Eighteen

“Gordon! I need someone to get me some firewood, this fire ain’t gonna light itself!”

Alexia turned around to see Chris, who somehow look even more orange and crisp than usual, storming towards their table. It wasn’t angry storming, just Chris showing off his bountiful amount of strength that even action he did had to cause some physical impact of some sort. Caden sighed. “Chris get someone else, I’m busy,” Caden protested.

Chris narrowed his eyes. “With what? You girlfriend over here? Drag her along with you then!” He boomed, pointing at Alexia. Alexia glared at him so hard she was surprised his burnt skin didn’t sizzle and pop.

“He’s not my boyfriend. Screw off, Chris,” she seethed.

“Gordon you’re on firewood duty! Don’t be a dick and just go fetch the damn wood, bloody hell!” Chris snapped, ignoring her. Then, he stormed away.

Caden stood up reluctantly. “Well, Alexia, I’m gonna need some help,” he stared innocently at her, a request she had no intention of obliging to.

“Go on your own, Caden,” she replied, avoiding eye contact with him.

“Yeah, so I just so happen to recall you haven’t paid me back for the dress, and um, now would be a good time. Just saying, you know.”

For the second time that day, Alexia felt like she was being pushed into something against her will by the power of guilt. “Ugh, fine,” she gave in reluctantly.

The two of them made their way into the woods under the suspicious and interested eye of K.H and the confused gaze of Almier burning a hole at the back of Alexia’s head.

Alexia glared at Caden. “Ugh. So it appears I am now stuck with this shitty excuse for a man again. Seriously, Caden, was being neighbours not enough?” Caden just gave a quick smile before walking further on. Odd. Why doesn’t he rebut my insult?

Before long, they had their arms full with pieces of wood that were poking their way into Alexia’s skin. She grunted as she tried to stack some more into her already full arms and was disappointed to realized that cramming physical items into her arms did not work the same was as cramming information into her brain did.Suddenly, she felt a slight tap on her left shoulder, and her heart jumped. She turned to the left, only to realise that nobody was there. To her right, Caden was breaking out in little spastic giggles.

“I can’t believe the smartest girl fell for the oldest trick in the book!” Caden exclaimed in between fits of laughter, glowing with pride from his little “achievement”.

Alexia found herself subconsciously smiling, against her own will, but just punched his arm and continued walking. Caden handed her a bag and they dumped the firewood in it. For the rest of their little ‘task’, Alexia ignored Caden, preferring to look at the repetitive scenery of nature which she took no interest in rather than Caden’s annoying face. Caden realised this too, as he started to repeatedly poke her arm, hoping to get her attention. Alexia decided to continue walking, but Caden was persistent.

“WHAT DO YOU WANT.” Alexia snapped, whirling on Caden.

Caden grabbed her arm and dragged her to the nearby bushes, and Alexia suddenly recalled every horror movie she had ever watched.

Alexia squirmed under his grasp. “What are you doing? You are going to get us lost with your stupidity!”

“Come on, don’t get your panties up in a bunch. I just wanna show you something,” Caden insisted, turning back and flashing her one of his famous “I am up to mischief” smiles. Alexia just sighed and continued to follow him, silently hoping he wouldn’t get both of them killed.