Chapter Twenty-three

Almier was standing by his car, hands intertwined like they always were when his nerves struck. He looked up and saw Alexia making her way towards him with the same awkwardness that their relationship had grown accustomed to. His jaw literally dropped and his expression mirrored that of the cartoon characters in the movies. Alexia jokingly spun around in front of him and laughed when he turned red.

“What’s the matter, Almier? Never seen a girl in a dress before?” she teased lightheartedly.

He blushed furiously. “No, it’s just that … you look so different. Oh man, you should wear dresses more often,” he breathed.

“Most girls prefer to be called beautiful, you know,” she joked but inside, she was tingling.

“But then again, you aren’t most girls,” Almier said, reaching out a hand and helped her in the car. “May I?”

They drove off and when they reached the school, they were greeted with a transformed facade. The entire place was decorated with lights and useless ornaments that served no other purpose than to take the breath of the arriving students away. K.H really outdid herself this year, Alexia thought as Almier led her into a whole new world, also known as her first school dance with a guy. Once inside, they were greeted with bright flashing lights and booming music resounding throughout the entire school hall. Once again, Alexia felt like a fist out of water; out of place, out of touch and wanted nothing more than to turn to Almier and beg to leave. She gripped on the Almier’s hand for the support she wished she did not need and winced as she moved through the crowds of couples dancing away on the dance floor, her hand still tightly enrobed in Almier’s. Why did I even agree to this in the first place? Almier turned to her, and noticing her expression, asked, “Are you feeling alright?”

Right, because of him.

Alexia shook her head. I guess this means that I will have to comply to the various compulsory social conventions tonight. Subconsciously, her eyes began to wander and she forced herself to pull her attention back to Almier. Almier is my date tonight. That’s all I need. Suddenly, Almier leaned in closer to her and Alexia felt her face heat up.

“May I have this dance?” he held out his hand, smiling.

Alexia felt the blood rush to her face and somehow, in the midst of all the flurry of emotions, she managed to nod. Almier’s protective hands were then immediately wrapped around her waist as he led her onto the dance floor. Soon, though, Alexia learnt the through extent of his words when he said that he could not dance, and they were tripping over each other, exchanging more apologies than romantic glances. “Maybe we’re not cut out for this,” Alexia said, laughing after he stepped on her foot for the tenth time that night.

“God, Alexia, I am so sorry,” Almier said, looking flustered and sheepish and unbearably cute at the same time, a feat only he could pull off.

“It’s alright. Let’s try this out slowly. You move your foot to the left, then I follow and then step back,” she carefully led him in a series of dance steps she vaguely remembered K.H teaching her last year. She saw Almier concentrating, his expression focused as if trying to solve hard equation. Before long, he finally learnt the steps, albeit not hard ones, and they had a decent dance to move along to. Their bodies synchronizing to the beat of the music, moving as one whole, and Alexia felt her nerves loosen. As if on cue, the music suddenly slowed down and a number of couples quickly shifted to more intimate positions. Some went too far, and contorted their bodies wrapping over each other. Out of the corner of her eye, Alexia saw Caden arrive with Natalie and she felt her spirits sink. Of course, he had to come with the bimbotic fool! She found herself rolling her eyes, and immediately banished those thoughts, turning her attention back to Almier. Is this jealousy? No! I am not jealous. I chose Almier, and Caden can go do whatever he wants with Natalie for all I care. She tried to avoid looking at the both of them, however, felt her eyes finding them every now and then, against her will. On what she promised herself would be the last of her sinful peeks, she caught Caden locking his eyes with hers and the expression written all over his face was one of regret and disappointment.